Odd Jeep Canvas????

Jessie The Jeep

This is a picture of the 100th Bomb Group jeep that my jeep scheme is based on. I have a couple of questions regarding the canvas on it.

i) Do you think the mottled appearance of the roof canvas is just from rain, or do you know of any wartime jeep canvasses that had any kind of camo on them?

ii) looking at the rear side screens, there is only one window in them, between the hood bows. The usually seen front window ( arrowed ) is just canvas. Has anyone seen any other jeeps with this style of single window side screens?

Steve

ps Also note the jeep in the background has the often seen, 'inverted' USAAF Bumperettes

[attachment deleted by admin]

My only thought against rain or dew is that the ground is dry, the strong shadow suggesting bright sun, the guy isn't wearing his jacket also suggesting warmth, and the shadow isn't long so the sun must have been up for several hours.

Actually, it must be around mid-day as the shadow is pointing North.

Steve

Hi all,

i have never seen or heard of jeep canvasses having a camouflage pattern applied to them, i would of thought these markings are from storage of the canvass off the vehicle or with the front section folded back.

Ashley

Hi Steve,

On the mottled appearance I'd say it's a combination of wear,fading and dust,I had a series 1 Land Rover and the top had the same effect.

As to the side window I have seen several Eighth Jeeps with modified/field made tops,both canvas,plywood and alloy.

I will email you some pics if I can :|

Matt.