Grizzly at Sennybridge

Bob Grundy

Back when I was a little un oh, 1992 ish they had a Grizzly outside painted in desert colours named 'Cricklade' or some spelling that looked a bit like that. Is it the same Sherman?

PS why was the gun barrel cut off in your photo Adrian?

Back when I was a little un oh, 1992 ish they had a Grizzly outside painted in desert colours named 'Cricklade' or some spelling that looked a bit like that. Is it the same Sherman?

PS why was the gun barrel cut off in your photo Adrian?

That's the one and as antar says, it was part of the demilling. In fact that was the extent of the demilling, breeches were untouched.

Was there really such a limited WW2 armour market in the early 1980s that Ian had to sell the remaining Grizzlies to the MOD, or was there some other reason? Dennis said he collected his from the docks, but another chap who I have spoken too brought his a little later, it was abandoned at a farm and immobile, think he got it for a song, but sold it shortly after it stared in Band of Brothers.

There were five brought in first, all pre sold, was yours one of those Bob? These were followed soon after by another 35 or so. The market was fairly flooded, they were only about 6k I seem to remember. At the end, the army were buying them as targets and they were going out as they had come in, complete and running.....

There were always a few floating about that had never been restored, but it's hard to figure out where they all ended up!

Adrian; Mine was in the second batch, No 7 tank. You could go down to Southampton docks and pick one that you wanted, then pay £7,500, arrange transport and then say when you got it home "What have I done!" Mine conked out going through the gate because those P..........people had fitted a fuel line out through the sponson over the track that worked on gravity only. Going down the slope to the gate the petrol had run forwards away from the pipe, it was raining and dark and I slipped off the side to have my coat caught on a projection that hung me on the side with feet off the ground, what a start to tank ownership.........