Bedford escape hatch / gun ring

JEMIMA

Can anyone tell me if the ring on top of a QL is an escape hatch or a gun hatch ? - ive never seen any pictures of a gun being used from above one.....also im after the inner pads for mine - does anyone know if RLs have the same sized / style of pads or can suggest any others that may fit ? - mine has nothing and i understand that there should be 3 x seperate cushion / pads that bolt inside the ring / hatch......

Hello, here some pictures of my renovated copula, the inner hip ring is made of 3 metal sections with captive nuts and I had them covered with black vinyl over hard foam .

But after some information in books and a inspection of a friend his QLD it appears that the 3 sections are covered in canvas.

IMG_0299.jpg

My copula with black vinyl

IMG_1460.jpg

as it is original .

Edited by guy66

Can anyone tell me if the ring on top of a QL is an escape hatch or a gun hatch ? - ive never seen any pictures of a gun being used from above one.....also im after the inner pads for mine - does anyone know if RLs have the same sized / style of pads or can suggest any others that may fit ? - mine has nothing and i understand that there should be 3 x seperate cushion / pads that bolt inside the ring / hatch......

The cupola was only on QL's made from around late 1943 onward if i recollect. Will find the chassis number later. Mine is a 43 model and never had a cupola.

Think you should do a bit of research, Bedfords and Austins as well as others did not have hip ring / cupola on their hard cabs until about 1943 ........

Well Phil's, now Jemima's QLR was an early one and that has the cupola, so a later addition?

238.jpg

Edited by Tony B

Just to confuse the issue! I've just flicked through the book Bedford to Berlin and Beyond. That shows pictures dated 1944 and vehicles with no cupolas! There is a picture on page 51 of a QLB, the guy poking out of the cupola has a Bren with the bipod resting on the cab roof.

During 1944, and I believe, after D-day, there were intructions and mod kits to retro fit hip rings/cupolas to lorries in the field. I think their importance was to observe for air attacks on convoys. You may also find preserved vehicles built pre-1944, that have gone through a rebuild and may not have their original cabs fitted, so there again could have a late cab on an early chassis.

• 7 months later...

It seems from what i have found that my QLR has had some donor parts added during its life - its a 42 chassis but has many parts from a later model to the front cab such as the roof hatch / ring ,The wing support brackets,the later type engine cover/cowling - Im not sure if its a completely "new" cab or just the top half or just a comming together of many parts !

- whatever its a snug fit for both driver and passenger when your over 6ft - but i love it !