Your top 5 places to visit in Normandy....

Jack

Not Caen. :-(

Well I couldn't find anything very exciting to do anyway!

The castle's not bad for a couple of hours idle time but I wouldn't make a special effort.

(ps. don't you just hate people who dismiss someone else's town or country after only spending a short time there. :whistle:)

Pointe Du hoc is a must Jack, a fair ole bit to explore and yeah, forget Caen, i wasn't that impressed with the museum there,. Of course the beaches are a must, visited Omaha and the nissen hut type museum, very well presented.

On the way back to the Calais we went to Merville, where there were some heavy gun positions and another museum within one of the emplacements, unfortunately the nice french lady responsible for opening it, had trouble with the lock so we didn't get in !!

The night before we explored a few bits outside of the 'site', was flooded to the top of waders! possibly the command bunker and accommodation area.

Grand camp maisy is very much on the 'to do' list :whistle:

:-D

Bayuex museum for sure. As Joris says - the tapestry should be seen as well.

If up to the west then the Utah Beach museum, St Mere Eglise and the museum there then the German batteries at Azeville and Crisbeq.

Be prepared to weep at the condition of some of the vehicles left outside as monuments - esp. the Alligator outside the Utah museum!!!!

Yes. Alligator is in even worse condition.... :cry: :cry:

We stayed at a caravan site just down the road from St Mere Eglise, at Ravenoville Plage. The C43 cafe in St Mere Eglise, opposite the church, serves real English tea if you get tired of coffee :-)

When we were there in 2005 there were a lot of Dodge WC's running around in every day use - used to see a couple a day!! :-)

We done the 47 cafe last year - bad service.

Spent most nights on Utah beach (the most beautiful spot in France), done Omaha, Point Du Hoc, the US cememtary and more importantly the German cemetary.

Went to Arromanches, whick look like Blackpool on speed! Intend to do the British sector this time around and will be going to Caen for the reasons that Karoshi pointed out - it is important for me to see where so many of my countrymen lost their lives.

Would love to do Grand camp maisy, Merville and as Joris says...D-Day Wreck museum.

The Grand Bunker at Ouistreham is worth a visit if you are doing the British end. Also if you happen to be is Asnelles (I think, nodoubt someone will put me right) at low tide you can walk out quite close to the Mullberry caissons and get an idea of the size. If you are up round Utah area Azerville is definitely worth a look. Longues is good so is Merville. If you go through Courseulles you need to go to the cafe that overlooks the beach by the marina entrance, there is a large car park and also a Sherman on the other side of the road. It isn't posh or special but they serve the best coffee Mrs Spood and myself have ever had :drool: :tup:

Yes Spood you are correct regarding Asnelles (Le Hamel). The wrecks museum at Port en Bessin is a must, make sure you leave enough time to watch the video showing. The 360 degree cinema at Arromanches is brilliant and as you are going :angel: :-D

A couple of nice restaurants in Carentan, L'escapade and just around the corner from it is another the name of which escapes me at moment and they are both right next to The town Hall and 101st monument (opposite train station).

ps. Major and Mrs Holts Battlefield Guide 'Normandy' worth a read.

Tim V.

Forgot to mention the bridge going out of Carentan past the marina towards Brevands and the estuary is the original bailey still there.

Azerville is great, we found it by accident & you go down into the first bit of bunker & watch a 20 min film then a guide takes you through the system & explains things as you go & also gives you the opportunity to ask questions. it is surprising when you come out as you are in a field on the other side of the road.

the 360 cinema is wierd but good

ranville was a quaint village with a British cemetery & is just down the road from

Merville.( last time we went during the 60th anniversary we had a little chat with Reinhart Steiner who was the commander of the Batterie when it was taken by the British)

it is also good driving round the lanes & stopping at small museums you may never have normally seen

Berni

Definitely do the Azeville tour if it is on. Fantastic. The whole battery is brilliant. Longues battery is great - the command bunker is a genuine Longest Day location where Pluskat first sees the armada. Lots of great photography here - the classic down the barrel gun emplacement pic must be in everyones album. I like the Merderet river and the Iron Mike statue - you can see Gavin's fox hole and walk over the bridge - afternoon contrasty light is magic. There is a little church further down the road well worth visiting too. St Aubin on Juno is great. Lovely beach, good bunker with a PaK in it and it all matches the contemporary pix. The Churchill AVRE at Graye sur Mer is always worth it because it has so much history. I don't rate the Centre Juno Beach at all - far too PC and not enough stirring stuff about Canadian valour for my liking. My Canadian mate's grandad Archie is one of the sponsors names on the pillars outside. He was there, God bless him. Go to Grainges and see the site of a little known Alamo stand by US Paras, all were murdered when they surrendered. Heartbreaking. Le Cambe is always worth it for the scale of the place, and you have to visit the grave of Michael Wittmann. The German general Dollman and his staff killed in an air attack are in there somewhere too.