First Registration Leyland Daf 45.150 4x4 Cargo

Hi all. Been a while since I last put my head round the door as I was waiting to take delivery of the truck & 1001 other things cropped up in the meantime!

Anyway, the truck's now parked outside my house where I can admire it every day & plan the modifications to come.

I've received my MOD645 from Withams and my V55/5 from the DVLA and am tentatively placing a first step into the minefield of red-tape that follows.

I've read so many articles on the whole first registration issue that my brain is hurting, yet no-one seems to speak all that plainly.

From what I can make out, this is the order I now need to do things...

1)Insure the vehicle on a short term basis.

2)Have the vehicle MOT'd and conformity tested.

3)Fill in the V55/5 in accordance with the information on the certificate of conformity.

4)Colate all relevant documents & fees and visit the DVLA to submit it all.

Lots of questions, though I'll just throw the main ones out there for now. Would appreciate answers only from those of you who've first-registered this exact type of vehicle yourselves. Please keep it to whole facts only as this is already confusing enough!

Ok, here goes...

1) Have I got everything in the right order? Did I miss anything out?

2) How does one insure a vehicle that is not registered? Insurers contact details would be great here!

3) Can any HGV MOT station perform conformity testing / What is involved in the conformity test itself?

4) Does this vehicle require type-approval? (I am under the impression it doesn't)

Sorry it's a boring list. Seemed the only way to keep it easy to read!

All help muchly 'preciated!

Stu

Insure with footman James on the chassis number Appox £85-£100, then you need to sort out how you are registering it. Camper/motorhome will get you round under run etc decide on weight under or over 7.5 tonne HGV or not! If under 7.5 tonne get a class 7 or is it heavy class 4 not sure?? MOT at a VOSA place if over 7.5. Take all the paper work to the DVLA office and you should have all back with paper plates(you will have to get them made) Drive away.

Cheers Tony! Footman James, next port of call. How long does that kind of policy typically last? I read somewhere 2 weeks (?)

I'll be registering primarily as HGV rather than camper / motorhome, as I intend to put it to use as a lorry for a while & make the project pay for itself as best it can. I'll see about re-registering or down-plating later on, when the expedition body is nearing completion.

Am I right in thinking (without an illegal drive to the nearest private weighbridge) that dry, these trucks weigh somewhere in the region of 5.5 - 6.5 ton, depending on the type of demountable fitted? I'm guessing with the tail lift & drop-sides mine will be closer to the 6.5 mark. That leaves roughly a ton for additional equipment before I'm over the bracket.

Out of curiosity, which way did you go with yours? Under or over?

And how does the conformity testing thing work? Does it form an integral part of the first MOT or do I need to take it to a separate VOSA station for that?

The fog is clearing but there's still lots of it!

Cheers Tony! Footman James, next port of call. How long does that kind of policy typically last? I read somewhere 2 weeks (?)

I'll be registering primarily as HGV rather than camper / motorhome, as I intend to put it to use as a lorry for a while & make the project pay for itself as best it can. I'll see about re-registering or down-plating later on, when the expedition body is nearing completion.

Am I right in thinking (without an illegal drive to the nearest private weighbridge) that dry, these trucks weigh somewhere in the region of 5.5 - 6.5 ton, depending on the type of demountable fitted? I'm guessing with the tail lift & drop-sides mine will be closer to the 6.5 mark. That leaves roughly a ton for additional equipment before I'm over the bracket.

Out of curiosity, which way did you go with yours? Under or over?

And how does the conformity testing thing work? Does it form an integral part of the first MOT or do I need to take it to a separate VOSA station for that?

The fog is clearing but there's still lots of it!

As it is not being downplated you will need to go to a VOSA test station and there is quite likely to be a fair wait for an appointment. If you intend to use the vehicle for hire and reward as the documentation puts it then you will need an operators licence which involves holding a CPC and then showing that you will be able to look after the vehicle properly and have sufficient capital. You will also have to have the appropriate LGV licence and use a tachograph. If you don't use the vehicle for hire and reward it can be taxed as private LGV but you will still need a LGV driving licence.

Hi,

I had mine on a weighbridge last week it weighs 6050kg with out the canvas and sides so you are about right. the Max plated weight though is only 10800. I run mine at 13000 off road and the single tyres do struggle on soft ground.

The trucks were made under type approval certificate of conformity number 058n102t but none was ever issued because they were delivered to the MOD. You can get a letter with a lovely stamp from DAF to confirm this just contact them at Thame or via their Web site, with the Chassis Number.

I did attempt to register mine as a HGV but was told it needed a Digital tachograph and speed limiter.

Digital because it had never had a Tacho before. This would have cost more than the vehicle.

Also for the MOT it will need side bars and rear under run see the current discussion on the RB44

I just feel that there are now too many hurdles to climb in registering these for commercial use.

You will never be able to drive it in within the M25 unless paying the emissions fine. they are Euro 2.

(£200.00/day)

Not to mention the road tax!

If you want to make money out of it then Private HGV is no good (if you are stopped and the VOSA guy is suspicious that you are involved in "commercial activity" they ask your insurance status it is a catch 22 if you have Social and Domestic then they do you for no insurance if you have commercial then they do you for using a private HGV for commercial work.)

A very few are registered as Agricultural/ Forestry but the restrictions are quite clear these are the only ones that can be run on Red Diesel.

If you plan any commercial work then you will need an operators licence, not easy to get, a HGV licence which is not that cheap either and now you need a drivers CPC.

It would be nice if there was a special way of registering these for a limited mileage arrangement but it is not so.

What about "Showman's"?

david

Presumably you want an age related plate because if thats the case then you will need a verification of age certificate from a recognised club, unless of course the DVLA will accept the date of manufacture that mey be stated on the paperwork you already have.

Presumably you want an age related plate because if thats the case then you will need a verification of age certificate from a recognised club, unless of course the DVLA will accept the date of manufacture that mey be stated on the paperwork you already have.

This is covered by the MOD release form and the letter from DAF.

Below is the text of the letter I received. based on this I got a Plate beginning with a J which is between 01/08/1991 and 31/07/1992 so I guess they used the manufacturers dates.

Registered Office: 9400 Garsington Road,

Oxford Business Park, Oxford. OX4 2HN

Registered in England No. 2815777

DAF Trucks Limited

Eastern Bypass

Thame

Oxfordshire

OX9 3FB

Tel: 01844 261111

Fax: 01844 217111

www.daf.co.uk

07 February 2011

To whom it may concern

The following Leyland DAF model FAV 45.150, chassis number

*XLRS2D39E********

was manufactured in week 34 1991 and according to our records first used on 16

September 1992.

The model was Type Approved under Certificate no 058N102T although a

Certificate of Conformity was not issued at the time of first use by the MOD.

Des GB Tyres

Axle 1 5000 5000 12.00 x 20 154/149 Single

Axle 2 7500 7500 12.00 x 20 154/149 Single

GVW 10800 10800

GTW 16260 16260

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

When you MOT it they will give you the plating certificate.

Its ok to book a MOT as there can be quite a wait, but best find out from the testers what you have to do first.

Silly things like wiper blades can fail.

Did you get the service records with it? mine had stood for 7 years only moving to have the emissions tested.

If you plan to use it a lot change the seats I welded discovery seats to the original frames beware though the drivers seat is quite off set to get round the engine cover.

Next time I am your way I would like to drop in and compare notes,

David

Wow! Tons of useful info there! Sorry for not getting back to any of you sooner. For some reason I didn't get any email notifications & have been a bit busy to check back. Anyway, a few points being brought up that I wasn't aware of so thanks to all for those.

Letter from DAF? Will do!

HGV or LGV? Think I'll go LGV and keep it as private goods, not hire & reward. Most of the use it'll see as a lorry will be agricultural as opposed to commercial, so no foreseeable problems with the ministry there. Also cuts out the hassle (and cost) of needing a commercial operators license for what will probably be a relatively short period before the conversion happens.

VTG1? Oooh, that's a new one on me but ok, will do that.

No issues with entering the M25 emissions zone. I live in Somerset. No cause at all to go anywhere near London!

Tax is only an issue 'til it leaves the country. Once gone we're never coming back!

Service records? Nope. Just the MOD654 & sales receipts.

Replacement seats? Yes, I had considered it as I'll be living in the thing later on. Range Rover ones sound good as some of them have arm rests. Will have a good look around & see what I like the feel of.

And David; yes by all means, drop by some time & check her out if you want. I have a bit of a manic life just lately so plenty of notice would be good if possible! (Also my kettle is old and very slow to boil!)

• 8 years later...

Your question is rather like asking 'how long is a piece of string?'. I bought my Leyland Daf 4 tonner from Dave  Crouch, now Crouch Military, who did me an 'on the road deal'. Mot'ed, registered and taxed all for a reasonable price. Try ringing Richard Crouch and asking him for an on the road quote as they have some good Leyland Dafs for sale.