Onan Generator on a trailer for my Jeep

w896andy

I thought I would just post a couple of pictures of a little project I've just finished. I've had a couple of wartime Onan W3s 240v generators for a few years now and I always wanted to mount one in a trailer to use behind my Jeep.

I've seen a few photos of these generators mounted in frames over the years but never managed to find one so I made my own. Its not to a particular model just something that would look the period. I found a trailer which I assume is a wartime/early postwar fire pump trailer that most likely had a Coventry climax fire pump mounted in it. It must have been in dry store for many, many years as when I got it last year it was as new with brand new tyres that even have the mounding marks on the treads but was painted in Nato Green (Orange underneath). So all I had to do was spray it quickly in Dark Olive Drab.

I then made the frame to mount the generator, radiator, fuel tank and 240 volt sockets with a roof and skids so it fitted in the trailer runners and could be removable easily. Maybe not totally authentic but it looks the part, it used only the things I had around the workshop and I can now boil the kettle at shows !!!!!

102_6453.jpg

102_6441.jpg

102_6450.jpg