GMC v DUKW

R Cubed

Can anyone give me weights unladen for a CCKW353 with winch, and also the weight of a DUKW does the DUKW have the same weight carrying capacity as a CCKW ?

The DUKW's run on 9.00 x 20 tyres ? are there any other differences in the drive train between the DUKW's and CCKW's if not does the larger tyre size mean it is faster on road ?

According to Bart the DUKW weighs 15,080lb but early models weighed 14,360lb or 14,710lb. Carrying capacity was same as trucks but they were slightly quicker on road due to the larger wheels. I haven't got most of my reference books to hand as I have loaned them out but from memory a 353 with winch would tip the scales at close to 11,000lb or just under 5 tons.

Richard,

Bolster is also 11:00 x 18. They are near-impossible to find NOS or second-hand. New are expensive. Some people have converted 20" wheels to CCKW/DUKW centres.

- MG

Hi Mike, are you refering to the tyres being near impossible to get ? If so you mean that people have converted 20" combat wheels to fit the 18" centres of the original wheels ?

What are the differences in diameters.

11.00 x 18 bar grip overall tyre diameter ?

9.00 x 20 bar grip overall tyre diameter ?

According to Bart the DUKW weighs 15,080lb but early models weighed 14,360lb or 14,710lb. Carrying capacity was same as trucks but they were slightly quicker on road due to the larger wheels. I haven't got most of my reference books to hand as I have loaned them out but from memory a 353 with winch would tip the scales at close to 11,000lb or just under 5 tons.

Thanks for that found my book about the CCKW's now but got no info on the DUKW's.