New zealand military museums/shows etc.

sim60

Hi,we are coming over to New Zealand next February(2013) and i was wondering if anybody could recommend any good museums/shows,starting in the north island( mid feb) and them moving to the south were our friends live(Dunedin),Any idea`s would be greatly recieved as i will be limited to how many i can go to(as both my wife and her friend arenot really into it),but would be ok for me and her hubby to wander of occassionally.They live there so would need to give them some notice as they are planning the trips etc.

Thanks in advance Simon:-)

Hi,

You should Google the Military Vehicle Restorer clubs in the places you are going. There is a club in each province throughout NZ and they have regular functions several times each year. There are lots of military vehicle restorers here. If you are interested in aviation history there is a stunning display of WW1 aeroplanes at Hood Aerodrome in February and every second year there is an equally good airshow at Wanaka displaying WWII planes. Google is your friend.

Hi,we are coming over to New Zealand next February(2013) and i was wondering if anybody could recommend any good museums/shows,starting in the north island( mid feb) and them moving to the south were our friends live(Dunedin),Any idea`s would be greatly recieved as i will be limited to how many i can go to(as both my wife and her friend arenot really into it),but would be ok for me and her hubby to wander of occassionally.They live there so would need to give them some notice as they are planning the trips etc.

Thanks in advance Simon:-)

Hi Simon, I live in a place called Taupo if you look at a map of the north island you will see a large lake in the centre of the island, thats where I live it is a thermal area and very popular with tourists if you are here I will certainly show you and your friends around with some visits to MV restorers - so keep me in the loop ! cheers Charlie

To plan a trip about would require a greater indication of your interests. It's a bit like traveling in Britain. Where does an interest in military items become a history tour.

We are a recently colonised country so our history is only a few hundred years old. Scattered about the country are sites of early conflict with the Maori , and some display items from this period of time.

About the major ports are defensive sites that stem from the Russian scare of the 1880's, upgraded in the Great War and again for WWII.

Traveling in a Southerly direction.

Motat in Auckland

Classic Flyers in Tauranga

The Army Museum at Waiouru

Te Whaiti Museum at Hawera

Southward's on the Kapiti coast

South Island

Omaka Airfield Blenheim ( WW1 displays as per Peter Jackson film making style)

Air Force museum Christchurch

Wanaka Museum

Of this list aviation is in dominance on display material. The Army Museum is sole military, as is the Air Force Museum.

Other museums have sections relating to military aspects.

Smaller regional and local museums will have points of local military interest, then there are the private collections.

Those listed in the above list I consider to be warranted in visiting.

Hope this helps

Doug