double cab?

Willyslancs

At first i thought it was an FWD, but the front doors dont match up..

ref- Desert Classics http://www.desertclassics.com/FWD504x4.html

After looking through my copy of TM 9-2800, I believe this to be a GMC model 256. The only truck that matches the front doors, grille AND headlights. The closest standard vehicle that matches is the 'Truck, Searchlight, COE...' but that appears to have a double cab with only front doors, and has the big ol' stake bed and 6x4 config. Another possible match is the Chevy model BVA-1001 up, as the Chevy is 4x4, like the one in the picture, but the grille and headlights are all wrong. I am compleatly unfamilier with the hoist model.

It could be a vehicle ordered specifically for the USAAC..

Edited by Pavy8

The GMC searchlight truck does have a door into the 'sleeper' cab on the passenger side but it is different to the door shown on the cab pictured, I can't find a reference to the this truck in any of my books and wonder if it was something made up by the mechanics on the airfield.

Does anyone else think it looks liek the back half of the cab extends out to the side more than the front.

Also it looks like there is a small window between the 2 doors.

Is it possible that thiswas a french vehicle that was absormed by the germans, then reabsorbed by the americans?

I found this picture of another 4x4 GMC cabover, atleast proves there was more than one.

2705_182817648_AY003.jpg

from http://www.mycity-military.com/Neborbena-vozila/Vojni-kamioni_19.html

and this one, its a 1939 GMC crewcab cabover. this one is a firetruck. but it has the right ammount of doors and wheels that it might be the same base model

GMC 'Big Jimmy' Fire Truck CDF - 1939

Edited by Pavy8