Commercial Motor archives

Richard Farrant

The Commercial Motor magazine has been going since 1905. They have just put their archives online with a search engine. It works very well and I found an article that I remembered from the early 60's, straight away. Might be useful for those with vintage lorries looking for info. http://archive.commercialmotor.com/

I picked it up too that it was available on line. Was going to post it here , so now I'm second in line.

The usual problems with scanned documents as to wrong words appearing or blanks occurring with poor original copy.

I feel the search index needs a bit of a tidy up as the pages shown do not always represent the pages requested.

Still a great asset when searching for data.

Doug

Chatting to others, it seems a number of us have spotted this over the last couple of weeks. As Doug says, the word recognition software makes the odd howler; but so what - it's a valuable resource for us historians. Motor Transport (formerly Motor Traction), being now in the same publishing house as Commercial Motor, is also to be added in the coming months.

As Doug says, the word recognition software makes the odd howler; but so what - it's a valuable resource for us historians.

As the scan of the actual page is shown, it can be zoomed up to read from so not a real problem. The small ads at the back of each issue make interesting reading as well, plus all the larger adverts.