Matador engine & cab interior colour

Gents,

Could anyone offer any info on wartime AEC Matador engine & cab interior colours please. Just a general idea please no need for BS shades or numbers really (unless they're handy of course:D)

I've got a picture of a Matador engine in duck egg....but I'm guessings its because its a post war build ?

Another older picture suggests they were black ?

Likewise the cab interior......mid grey? or am I way off.

Any info or clues much appreciated

Cheers.......Howard

Hi there

Are you doing your Matador up to army spec? Matador engines where painted light colours, duck egg, light green (RAF painted them White I have been told) for one reason, so you could see if they are leaking oil!

Don't paint the inside of your cab a dark colour, its like sitting in a dungeon!

Thanks for your input, but I'm looking for accurate historic detail regarding a wartime Matador as built. As opposed to advice on a restoration. In other words, how they left the factory regarding the engine colour & cab interior colour in 1939-45.

I believe that duck egg was not introduced for engines until post war & that the AEC engine would be black on the assembly line during the war. Just hoped someone could confirm that.

H

I had always assumed cab interiors were painted whatever the vehicle exterior was, thats i was going to do with our Scammell and Matador anyway. I'd have thought given the very open nature of Matador and in particular Scammell cabs painting them anything else would be a bit of a camoflage faux pas.

True the duck egg or "odeneal" engine colour is post war.

Sorry i can't help anymore, but will be interested in what others have to say.

All the best, Richard

When I stripped and cleaned my engine, the paint history of the crank-case and block was 'eau de nil', red (oxide), black and, finally, a mid green - a bit like the colour of the 'reply to thread' button. Unless someone had given it a very thorough clean when it was last rebuilt, the green must have been the original colour - I don't think it was a primer for the black but it might have been. It's now back to 'eau de nil' (Dulux 'Amazon Jungle 5' actually but you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference!) and all the little leaks show up nicely.:embarrassed:

Thanks for that last one....if your Mat was given a post war base overhaul that would explain the duck egg over whatever was underneath. That part of the puzzle is being supported at least.:)

Many thanks for confirming there was black below the duck egg though. Thats interesting, & helps lead me to believe;-

I reckon the green first coat probably was a primer coat just used to give the factory finish black a key. I say that because I can't see the logic in painting a green engine black because of service need.:nut:

Cheers.....H

My matador has only ever had one coat of paint on most of the cab interior, and it's gloss bronze green, the same as the body, chassis, etc - it seems pretty much everything was the same colour when they were built. Mine is from the first contract, so 1939/40 build. Not investigated the original colour of the engine yet.

Nick

Howard, yes it had an overhaul recorded in 1953, but I don't know how thorough it was as it still has lots of original features, including volkes felt bellows air filter and the petrol engine that was fitted shortly after it was finished. It is also still fitted with the early Weymann cab, and more curved wings, etc. Removing things like the drivers seat, and dashboard, there is a single coat of green paint under all these items. It has had the brakes converted to air, but that seems about it, everything else seems as original.

Nick