Chevy/GMC fire extinguishers

deadline

In about a month one of the largest antique shows on the east coast will be 30 minutes away.

I think it will be an excellent chance to pick up a couple brass fire extinguishers.

So the problem becomes: Whats the proper fire extinguisher for a G506 and G508 truck?

Anyone have any ideas?

In about a month one of the largest antique shows on the east coast will be 30 minutes away.

I think it will be an excellent chance to pick up a couple brass fire extinguishers.

So the problem becomes: Whats the proper fire extinguisher for a G506 and G508 truck?

Anyone have any ideas?

:shocked: I am shocked, with your knowledge I would have expected you to be able to tell us Brits......:-)

In about a month one of the largest antique shows on the east coast will be 30 minutes away....

Given the rate of continental drift, in around 30 million years or so it'll be about 30 minutes away from us too :cool2:

Sorry, back to the question: when it left the factory, or the in-field replacement after some clown set fire to his socks on the manifold?

I thought there was only one small size extinguisher, supplied in a couple of different mounting styles depending upon supplier (of which there seemed to be quite a few!)? I have examples of two different mounting bracket types and several makers cannisters.

I know no more than that, but am willing to learn from those who do :coffee:

Edited by N.O.S.

I have researched it... I even have pictures:

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=927

I did reference the JeepDraw web site... I avoid G503 as the 'signal to noise' ratio is much to high.

My question is really to validate what I have found. TMs can be wrong, or list items that were never issued, and rarely do they have a start/stop date other than 'superseded by'

I did get a very nice "Fire Gun No 0" for my jeep... I like to try and get the less common items. Pyrenne's are easy to find.

The brackets really don't interest me that much... I know there are two types depending on the top of the fire extinguisher... either centered of offset to the rear. There may be others based on number of bands, and the cup at the bottom... I figure that if I buy a fire extinguisher with the mount it should be close enough to mount in a vehicle.

Edited by deadline
spelling

I guess if it got to the stage of onlookers or judges being critical of my choice of fire extinguisher I'd have to move on to some other hobby like collecting toe nail cuttings.:idea:

Thankfully the toughest judges I come across are the general public with perhaps more than a passing interest in the events which the vehicles attend, for whom any reasonably well presented and cared-for WW2 truck is eye candy, and whose main criteria is "yep, that looks about right!" :)

If you set your goals high, then even if you miss it you are still much better off than having no goal at all.

Judging (by the MVPA's standards) is a joke and other than the 1/4 ton reconnaissance truck (aka jeep) I don't think there are any written standards for CCKWs/Chevys.

Most 'clubs' don't want the best, they want you to feel good about your effort so you continue to pay dues.

I'm sure the answer is out there. Now I just have to find it.

.....I'm sure the answer is out there. Now I just have to find it.

You sure about that? Seems to me you've answered it as best it can be or indeed needs to be. The only way you'll do any better is if you buy that elusive old set of ledgers containing hand-written entries of which brand of extinguisher was fitted to which truck by serial number (and we all know who owns that :cool2: ).

Any kind of research needs to be verified and looked over by others.. otherwise its little more than a statement.

Everything collectors need is safely locked up at the GM Historical Archive in Michigan... but to GM management for the last 30 years or so WWII never happened.

Some time ago several of us were talking to 2 US vet truck drivers and they were totally incredulous when somebody brought up the subject of fire extinguishers, the expressions on their faces said it all. They couldn't have cared less about colour or type and said that in the field anything to hand got fitted and any way they were usually empty as their main use was for getting oil and grease spots off uniforms.:laugh:

I agree that 99% of the people will not care if the fire extinguisher is there.

I am not in that category. I do care as that little bit of minutia is part of the fun of collecting MVs.

While I was onboard the USS Pulaski I could draw, name and find in the dark every fire extinguisher, hose, FFE, OBA, a vast majority of the EAB connections and tons of other damage control related items. Most topside sailors didn't care unless they were on a DC party or it was their rate. But being on a sub meant that everyone was on a DC team and had to know.... so I don't think its universal that servicemen don't care... unless it was something they dealt with all the time.