TANK OF THE WEEK: Stridsvagn 104c

Despite Sweden building it's own tanks since 1921 it was one of many countries to adopt the British Centurion. Sold to Sweden in 1953 they have since been upgraded with the addition of a 105mm gun, diesel engine, automatic transmission and Hydrostrut suspension...showing what an excellent design Centurion was that it can take such improvement...

Stridsvagn 104c

E2003.1336_Strv%20104C%20Centurion_Tank%20Museum__6446-114.jpg

The link correctly states "Despite the fact that Sweden has a long-established armaments industry and had been building its own tanks since 1921 it was one of many countries to adopt the British Centurion." Unfortunately it has been incorrectly quoted and seems to have caught the dreaded apostrophe virus ... :-(

Andy

Edited by andym

• 5 months later...

Can i please ask a question to all on here how does one aquire a stridwagen 104 from sweden ?

its just ive really fallen in love with it and well wish to preserve one to full running condition

Anyone know what shipping cost would be ?

Cheers

"how does one aquire a stridwagen 104 from sweden ?"

I seriously doubt that you'll be able to find a Stridsvagn 104 for sale to a private individual.

60 pieces of Kristianstad Brigade tanks being transferred in 1992 to Södermanland Brigade (MekB 10), where they were in service until 1994, when they were transferred to the island of Gotland to upgrade and modernize Gotland Brigade (MekB 18). The tanks came to serve at Gotland Brigade to the 2000-year defense when tank training ceased at brigade and the remaining Tank 104's were scrapped.

There are a few examples placed in museums around the country, and a number were given to museums abroad. I think that The Tank Museum got one.

Here's one Centurion at the Arsenalen armour museum in Strangnas, Sweden, in 2011. It is towing a fuel/petrol tank (?)

Centurion_Arsenalen_Strangnas_Sweden_MG_1148.jpg

The vast majority of the Cent's/104's were scrapped a long time ago, unfortunately.

I would try to get hold of a Centurion elsewhere. They do come up for sale from time to time.

The Rolls Royce engines that were taken out of the Centurions when they were upgraded to diesel power can be found for sale here in Sweden.

Goran N

Goran N

Personally I'd love to be able to get hold of the rather unique "S" tank the Swedes had till recently I believe...

" width="644" height="390">
">Something went wrong...

Preview doesn't seem to to want to work - here's the link: http://youtu.be/n4eL1G8yyoo

Edited by ArtistsRifles
Youtube format not working?

I had the pleasure of watching Danish Cents fire in 1982. Our regiment took Scorpions to the Oxbøl ranges and training area north of Esbjerg (rather appropriate as that is we had finished the Second World War on the Danish / German border) and exercised with the Danes. I seem to recall they were a very old version of Cent, maybe with 20pdr guns and I suspect they were looking at Leopard to replace them. Come to think if it, that's where I was the day the Belgrano was sunk.