Uprating a truck payload & VOSA

fv1609

Question

Thinking of uprating a truck from 3.5 tonnes to 3.9 tonnes. Was recently told it just needed stronger/bigger bump stops & then a VOSA inspection.

So I contacted VOSA asking what were the legal requirements to be satisfied. The question was unanswered & I was sent an application form for a test.

I wrote again thanking them for the form, but before any work was carried out I needed to know what statutes/criteria would the applied to judge the worthiness of such a conversion, for they must surely exist?

This was the reply "Unfortunately VOSA do not handle enquiries of this type."

Anyone any idea to whom & where I should enquire?

I noticed a customer satisfaction feedback button so I could tell them how helpful their response had been. That feature was inoperative, how strange :D

7 answers to this question

Maybe someone at a plating station might be more usefull? I just knew when I saw the word VOSA it would turn into a nightmare lol

They seem to be cutting back on staff & cutting down on where certain things can be done. I think the nearest station that still does type approval like this is on the Isle of Wight, being some distance from the sea on the mainland is not helpful.

Clive

I will be interested in the outcome of this because I have a similar problem with the SUMB which was registered at it's minimum empty weight to get under 3500KG when imported (I believe by the Gunbus Company) but will be at least 3800KG with the radios, bench and extra batteries in. At the moment it is empty and I am still working on mechanical issues so can run under 3500kg with the spare wheel and benches out - hopefully by this winter I shall be ready to start on the insides so the weights need sorting soon

Regards

Iain

If the vehicle is un-modified and the down-rating was only on paper, up-rating should be the same. If the vehicle was modified as part of the down-rating process (road springs cut etc.) then these items will need to be returned to manufacturer's spec.

- MG

if we have a technical question, we ring Vosa, then ask to be put through to the 'Technical advisor' at our local testing station. In our case it's Rothwell, Leeds. (He is the chap you might see wandering around the Test Station in a white coat, hence sometimes refered to as the 'White Coat Man')

Clive

I will be interested in the outcome of this because I have a similar problem with the SUMB which was registered at it's minimum empty weight to get under 3500KG when imported (I believe by the Gunbus Company) but will be at least 3800KG with the radios, bench and extra batteries in. At the moment it is empty and I am still working on mechanical issues so can run under 3500kg with the spare wheel and benches out - hopefully by this winter I shall be ready to start on the insides so the weights need sorting soon Regards

Iain

Ian I contacted the vehicle manufacturer who I thought might have an after sales upgrade or specification for an upgrade. The advisor said he needed to speak to his team leader. After a few minutes the advice was that if I wanted to change the rating on my V5 I should contact DVLA.

I said wanted to modify the vehicle first then have it inspected then it would change on the V5. He went off again & said the manufacturer doesn't give any advice about payload upgrades & the best thing for me to do was yes, wait for it, contact VOSA :nut:

In the meantime I have found this company who sound as if they produce kits for certain vehicles & seem to actually understand the demand for upgrades & downgrades. I've sent them an email so I'll wait with interest.

http://www.svtech.co.uk