Taken at Utah but what are those 'things'

Jack

The thing on the left is a:

Bombardons: A number of ideas were considered for breakwaters. The first of these involved the use of compressed air. Perforated pipes were to be laid on the sea bottom around the area to be protected and compressed pumped through it. The result was a calm area within which ships were able to discharge at the piers. Although the principle was quite sound, the trials proved that the pipes would be moved in any heavy swell and that an enormous amount of power was required (at least 1.5 million horse-power for an area half that required).

Robert Lochner, who was in charge of this project, thought about what the were trying to achieve and realised that waves were in fact only surface deep and, therefore, only a shallow barrier was required. From experiments in his garden pond with a lilo, Lochner and his team went on to produce a floating, steel hollow cruciform “tube” which would form a suitable breakwater (code name Bombardon - to suggest a link with anti-aircraft defences)

F6.jpg

http://www.hksw.org/despatches_107_1_a.htm

The other bit could be a Whale. These were pontoons with legs that could be dropped to fix to the sand but allow the pontoon to float up and down. I'd suggest this picture was taken after the storm had wrecked most of the equipment.

I don't think it can be part of a Whale. It looks to be correctly set up, not part of some wreckage, and appears to be two temporary structures on top of each other with a ladder up to the top one, on some sort of proper base or cleared area and perhaps with a large aerial or similar. There were various control towers for those in charge of movements on the beach to observe and marshall vehicles and ships - could it be one of those control towers?

The other bit could be a Whale. These were pontoons with legs that could be dropped to fix to the sand but allow the pontoon to float up and down. I'd suggest this picture was taken after the storm had wrecked most of the equipment.

The American Mulberry of which the Whale was a part was at Omaha and although it was destroyed in the storm I doubt any of it would wash up on Utah.

I send him this picture and then Jack thought (which is something special in any case) what are those things! :-D

Oi watch it.

Like many of us, we have all seen thousands of images of the beaches - mainly US (not sure why we don't have as many of the Brit beaches) but I have never seen a tower like that before. It reminded me of the life guard towers on the US beaches - you know, like in Bay Watch :undecided: