New member from Argentina

Hello, my name is Diego Fernetti, I'm a modeller from Rosario, Argentina. I'm researching plans and details to draw a Commer Horse Ambulance from WW1. There are several pictures of this contraption and none seems to have the same type of body, yet most have chassis and cab details that seem to have been of standard production.

Apart from this, I'm always keen on learning new things about the vehicles used during the Great War, and have learned a lot only by reading some threads on this forum.

Best regards from the South!

D.

I'll try to post on the scale models threads, as I have built already 2 models of vehicles (I'm mostly a WW1 aviation modeller, who likes variety with some aerodrome vehicles from time to time) I have finished a Ford T ambulance and a Mack lorry, both from RPM kits in 1:72. Here's the ambulance, wish I had found this forum before actually building it!

IMG_486911.jpg

Welcome Diego. Nigel is the man you need, and there is a picture of a horse drawn horse ambulance on the forum. If you are talking the motirised version. You are quite correct that there are a number of diffrent bodies. Motor boxes were a new phenomenon at the time. Companies such as Lambourn stated to build various bodies to customer's order so each was diffrent. Any Horse ambulance would have to have one or two hoops and/ or a longditudanal beam capable of holding the weight of a horse unable to stand.

Welcome Diego. Nigel is the man you need, and there is a picture of a horse drawn horse ambulance on the forum. If you are talking the motirised version. You are quite correct that there are a number of diffrent bodies. Motor boxes were a new phenomenon at the time. Companies such as Lambourn stated to build various bodies to customer's order so each was diffrent. Any Horse ambulance would have to have one or two hoops and/ or a longditudanal beam capable of holding the weight of a horse unable to stand.

Indeed, it's a motor vehicle made up from a Commer Car 4-ton RC chassis were supplied to Messrs. Osborn & Co., automobile engineers, of Great Marlborough Street, London who had approached Commercial Cars Ltd. on behalf of the Home of Rest for Horses, the bodywork being built by Messrs. H. J. Mulliner and Co., the coachbuilders of Long Acre, London.

I'll have to find the correct forum thread to ask for details... here's a few pictures of the boxy vehicles (note that some are different, but seem to have the same type of chassis)

CommerCar Horse Box 4.jpg

large.jpg

CommerCar Horse Box 2.jpg

CommerCar Horse Box 3.jpg

Intresting photos. The basic design hasn't changed much. The side ramp was similar to those used on rail trucks. It must be a double hinge, looking at the support stands and angle of the ramp. There is a swinging three quarter height partion to divide it into two parts. Any sling incidentally would be a two part. A single sling would cause pressure under the stomach. With a horse's physiology that would crush the lungs. There would also need to be a bar or partion at the front to stop the animals banging into the cab bulkhead.

This will give you an idea of the slings http://www.equisling.com/equisling.htm

Edited by Tony B