M18 Hellcat TD : Silent Running?

john_g_kearney

I was pleased to see the M18 Tank Destroyer in motion at the recent Yorkshire Wartime Experience. I was hoping to hear it too, but I couldn't. I know it was windy, and there were plenty of other vehicles running in the arena at the same time. But still, the vehicle's exhaust appeared to be more or less inaudible. Is this a characteristic of the engine fitted, or were tank destroyer engines specially silenced to fit them for their combat role?

John.

The Hellcat was fitted with the R975 radial petrol engine, they are normally as noisy as an M4 or M4A1 Sherman... Which is rather loud! Panzers were much quieter, as were British designs, on the whole. At A&E 2010 I coul hear the Hellcat at full tilt over a mile away!

We had fuel supply issues with the Hellcat, I think we've got it sussed, the 2 electric fuel pumps couldn't keep up with the engine at full tilt. We will have 2 new high capacity fuel pumps fitted before next year!! As to the exhaust noise, if you were in the turret you certainly would hear it!