Sennelager Range hulks.

tartan-ninja

Hello Troops...

Was over in Germany last few weeks and managed to take a few pics of the Hulks around the ranges, including an area with a few interesting wee collection are off the side of "K" range.... Oh and a Chieftain and Cent outside 20 Brigade HQ in Normandy Barracks.

resize 5.jpg

Resize 1.jpg

Resize 2.jpg

resize 3.jpg

resize 4.jpg

Edited by tartan-ninja

Tee hee...takes me back a bit. :-D One of my jobs twice a year was to take hulks from the graveyard at 3 alpha on Hohne ranges out on to the ranges & postion them as directed by the German range staff. Mainly M48s & M47s & I see there are still a few hanging around by the look of it.

There were also a number of Staghound & Boarhound a 3A......plus......a Churchill flail, still with its chains !! That one we later took to the Swingfire range:cry: sorry about that chaps.

I bet the Conqs are no more than dust nowadays ?

The M47s & M48s I towed out with a Cent ARV though were not long out of service & were largley complete. Now it seems the poor old Cent ARVs are targets.:cry: (Still looking for 03ZR59 & if anyone spots it, its mine & I want it back)

Can anyone clue me in on target '31' ?....I dont have a clue what that is.

Cheers for the pics, nice one.

H

and the last couple.... :cry: Sorry if this has been done before....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63540[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63541[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63542[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63543[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63544[/ATTACH]

Great pictures not seen most of these - excellent!!!

Wow! That takes me back! I have 'Put a few Rounds down there' over the years!....

A large proportion of ex Bundeswher AFVs being used as targets i see.

Just goes to show dosent it.

That the M.O.D are Sooooooo short of money, they cant even spare many 'Hard Targets' for training

purposes! Sold off too many at the same time for the cash & didnt keep many back for long term

target usage!...............

One sunny day I was in the Martian wrecker between Hohne & Fallingbostel & passed a range head where the Bundeswehr were firing the Jagdepanzer 90. So, ever armed with my trusty Kodak Instamatic I stopped a while to take pictures. Oh my what a kerfuffel that caused....I was sprung by 4 hairy Bundes-squaddies & marched over to their officer who demanded the film out of my camera.:blush:

Me being a mighty Lance Corporal promptly told him where to go....which led to an exchange of army number, name & unit. I retained the camera & film though (having called his bluff)...but it did lead to a short interview with the Provo Coy in Hohne. Seems he did report me after all. (No fine, no pack drill);)

Regarding the UK flogging off British kit for cash......possibly better that, than blowing it to bits on the ranges. Two reasons, 1) we get asmall something back for the taxpayers outlay, 2) we get to see it perform later on when two third world countries take it out of each other.:cool2:

Surely it would be a lot cheaper to actually build hard targets in a basic 'tank shape' from cheapo steel plate, maybe concrete filled rather than use potentially saleable kit ? Just a thought.

H

One sunny day I was in the Martian wrecker between Hohne & Fallingbostel & passed a range head where the Bundeswehr were firing the Jagdepanzer 90.

The range brief before firing the big boy guns (okay, the teenager guns, 76mm on Scorpion as opposed to 120mm on Chieftain) was taken very seriously indeed. Every morning before First Round Down (as near to Range Opening as possible, dawn in winter, so the brief was in the dark), we got the full spiel on what to do and what not to do. Frequently mentioned was the Bundeswehr national serviceman who decided to pull through his Jadgpanzer Kanone before checking it was clear, rams the rods down the barrel and detonates the round that had not been unloaded. Apocryphal? Who cares.

Surely it would be a lot cheaper to actually build hard targets in a basic 'tank shape' from cheapo steel plate, maybe concrete filled rather than use potentially saleable kit ? Just a thought.

When I did my Scorpion Live Firing Test at Warcop in 1976, the IG told me that the six-foot-square (ish) metal plates were the armour plating from the flight deck of the last decommissioned iteration of the Ark Royal. I suppose for the sake of a pot of paint to draw a tank outline, the job could be a good one: recycling, tick; cheaper and less wasteful than cutting the plate to shape, tick; target smaller than scale to make the gunner work that little bit harder, tick. For everything else, there's Mastercard.

Edited by AlienFTM