Austrian MV museum?

martylee

I've been able to locate militarymueum.at at the net, but I havn't found out where in Austria it's located! I understand it's a private collection owned by a Robert Gill. Anyway I'm spending a few days in Austria and thought I'd try to stop by there. Anyone?

Marty

If you are in Vienna you could visit the Aresnal which is close to the railway station, this museum is not privately owned but the admission is reasonable and free on certain sundays. There are still Flak towers in a park in vienna although I can't remember which one.

Hello Marty, The FLAK towers that I saw are in Augarten to the west of the Danube, if you want more info on the Aresnal museum its website is www.hgm.or.at if you click on the union jack in the top right hand corner it translates to english. If you do visit remember to go out the back to see the collection of Centurions, there every variant you can think of.

i've been able to locate militarymueum.at at the net, but i havn't found out where in austria it's located! I understand it's a private collection owned by a robert gill. Anyway i'm spending a few days in austria and thought i'd try to stop by there. Anyone?

Marty

met robert gill on a few european tours. ......he came with his then girl friend crystal 2 dobemans all in a gmc ?with semi trailer, he was known as the dodge club of austria cause he had many variants.one tour he fielded 10 dodges ! What a great showman !

Hello,

There are some more private Military museums in Austria

one is Militärmuseum Rosenberg which is not very far from Vienna

http://www.militaermuseum.com/

sorry only in german

and a Museum which shows an old bunker system from the cold war on a mountain pass to former Yugoslavia.

The austrians often used turrets from tanks the got from the States or Uk in this bunkers.

http://www.bunkermuseum.at/index.php

with a short text in english.

Not far away in Kötschach-Mauthen is a museum of the fights between Austria and Italy on the mountaintops in WW I.

But no MV only small weapons and equipment.But you can go up the mountain and see the old fighting positions.

http://www.dolomitenfreunde.at/index_e.htm in english.

There are some MV in a museum near Bad Ischl

http://www.fahrzeugmuseum.at/ just click on the poster and you get more infos but sorry again only in german.

Hope this helps to spend some interesting days in Austria.

Motorfahrer

Edited by motorfahrer

Hi everyone! thank you for good advice.

The arsenal seems to be the easiest ad most important to visit. The Flak towers is a must see! Is it possible to enter them? Who would I have to talk to? The militarmuseum Rosenberg also looks really intresting. ow far from Vienna?

Well, they all look intresting!

Again, thanks!

Marty

The FLAK towers in Augarten are fenced off with 2 metre high fences, there are other FLAK towers in Vienna, and I believe that one has been turned in to an aquarium! The eldest son (who lives in Vienna) is visiting us at present and he told us that the locals hate the FLAK towers as they are reminders of the war, they can't be demolished as they are listed buildings, so the authorities are leaving them to the elements.

• 1 month later...