Stalwart anniversay meet.

paulob1

I know a few of us are trying to organise a few stalwarts to get together for a full on swimming and off roading meet. One of the locations being suggested is the one in lincolnshire...its reasonably middle england for most people to get too within reasonable costs.

Anyone one here with a stolly intersted in joining up. We dont have a date or anything yet but just guaging interest.

Plan would be to swim and photgraph as many stollys in the water as possible...dont forget your bungs guys and make sure your bilge pump is functional...I fitted an extra one to the front of mine as she sits very heavy in the water forwards...so i am told as I have never yet swum the old girl...

I have been thinking if I could make up some bolt on frontal device that would give me say an additional ton of frontal buoyancy...that means about an IBC size box up front...not sure if I can achieve that yet but looking into it...

anyone know if there is a better way to improve the frontal buoyancy, am thinking if I seal up the front winch housing this must help...not sure how easy that will be but I guess any little will help.

sounds like it could be a great day!..

whilst I'm here talking to an obvious Stalwart fella!........

..Now that Stalwarts aren't in service anymore with the Army.....what vehicle is tasked with the job of ammunition & supplies forwarding to the tanks that the Stalwart used to do???????? cheers !

drops to the rear-areas and if close by to the tanks, and helicopters trucks and anything else that is at hand if not...

for the full on off shore resupply it is helicopters..

anyway come on you stolly owners lets meet up...

I know a few of us are trying to organise a few stalwarts to get together for a full on swimming and off roading meet. One of the locations being suggested is the one in lincolnshire...its reasonably middle england for most people to get too within reasonable costs.

Anyone one here with a stolly intersted in joining up. We dont have a date or anything yet but just guaging interest.

Plan would be to swim and photgraph as many stollys in the water as possible...dont forget your bungs guys and make sure your bilge pump is functional...I fitted an extra one to the front of mine as she sits very heavy in the water forwards...so i am told as I have never yet swum the old girl...

I have been thinking if I could make up some bolt on frontal device that would give me say an additional ton of frontal buoyancy...that means about an IBC size box up front...not sure if I can achieve that yet but looking into it...

anyone know if there is a better way to improve the frontal buoyancy, am thinking if I seal up the front winch housing this must help...not sure how easy that will be but I guess any little will help.

I wish you success with this proposal.

The loading to the front was not a major disability for the mk2, the mk1 dipped to the front also. I think the problem is more of a cab structure and distance from centre wheel station.

Hi Paul and others,

I was waiting until I had some more information, and possible locations before I made an announcement on here, but I suppose it will be good to gauge the interest in a stolly reunion, thanks for opening the question! :D

Just waiting for some more replies from site owners.

As for swimming in the water, mk 1 and 2 both swim the same, nothing to do with cab's or wheel differences, the running gear is virtually the same, give or take, even with the winch (early mk1 never had a winch) the difference in not so big.

The stolly fitted with a crane does indeed swim slightly nose down, but its nothing to worry about, to help this, you can swim with the crane stowed into the cargo bay, and put all your gear towards the rear, but I would not personally worry about it.

and as for blocking the winch, do you not want a winch?

In service The stolly was only allowed to swim with reduced load, max 3 tonnes. :wow:

As for it's replacement, that role was taken by the foden drops, the flat rack system was deemed easier!

So,, as and when I hear news about this event, I will let you all know. :D

cheers all

speak soon

shaun

Not sure if I could afford to bring it across the pond from Ireland, or if I will be finished restoring it:-(. But I would love to bring myself, that would be a sight to behold.

I have heard there is another (diesel powered) Stolly in Ireland, haven't met him yet but its on my to do list, will pass this info on to him if he doesn't already know.

Ross

mine is the 623 and they dip a lot with the crane, i suppose with the 6 ton load she is pretty level but I bet scary too...

Scary

I performance tested Stalwarts in Carr Mill reservoir off the A580 in the late 70ts. One of the 623 had a three ton concrete test weight strapped to the load platform while testing out new style side board seal sets for central stores, as replacements.

The water was licking around the fuel cap. Never did that again.

Edited by FEC

So, an update.

I have had no success from most places, at first they are interested, then they realise it's going to be a load of big trucks driving round and they back out, or they are now nature reserves.

Had no luck with MOD, tried a few different people, and places.

The only one who has replied possative is the site in kirton in Lindsey, they have off road area, a lake to swim, camping, parking for low loaders, cafe, toilets etc.

We are also just trying another site in Kent, see what they say.

The problem when you organise an event like this, you will always have some losers and some winners when it comes to distance to location, the kirton site looks to be favourable, it's middle ish, so easy for people to come from north and south, i have to travel about 800km myself.

So we will see what else turns up, I will keep you informed.

Cheers

shaun

Edited by Amphibi boy
Spelling

if it turns out we go to lincolnshire isnt that pretty close to you neil...

Like Lee says - it's over 160 miles from me Paul - I live on the outer edge of East London!!. All my spare cash is taken up in the haulage to WP. maybe 20 or 30 miles might be do-able depending on how stupid fuel prices go again - who knows!!

I have had interest from a certain military magazine, for doing a feature of the event, so your stolly could appear in a magazine. :cool2:

Wherever we hold the event, I have to come over with a low loader, so normally I will pick up another stolly on route!

(if my Belgium friend has not finished his by then) it's a fair few miles for me, so I will also need to save a few quid for the journey etc.

so to cut costs its a good idea to team up and transport 2 at same time.

Cheers

shaun

I have had interest from a certain military magazine, for doing a feature of the event, so your stolly could appear in a magazine. :cool2:

Wherever we hold the event, I have to come over with a low loader, so normally I will pick up another stolly on route!

(if my Belgium friend has not finished his by then) it's a fair few miles for me, so I will also need to save a few quid for the journey etc.

so to cut costs its a good idea to team up and transport 2 at same time.

Cheers

shaun

good point shaun, I have at least three turcks I can haul, one my own, assuming I only take one and therfore have two spare places...maybe three if i can get anothe trailer before the meet is organised...

would be good to see how many will come...perhaps we try to make it war and peace, perhaps they can knock up a lake for us for the week...

• 2 weeks later...

After emailing Paul, We think it will be a great show at Evesham next year 2013, and will be going with Mk1

we live near Ramsgate Kent so it will be costly, maybe we could share a low loader? I hope the 'Stolly Meet'

will go ahead we would like to meet other Stolly owners. Dave & Lin STAL 92 & STAL 724

Yes. I've had a few others express interest

James T

Mark C

So I think thats about 5 so far.

If you are a Stolly owner & thinking about coming to Evesham next June you would be very welcome.

And you can leave your vehicle/loader onsite for a while before going off to another show like War & Peace if that helps.

Hi all,

Yes that sound like fun, we can go for a swim on the river then go for some tea and scones! (you have to say that part in a posh accent) :cheesy:

Pencil me in.

I was also planning to go to W&P with her next year, so you say we can park there, how secure is it to leave them there till W&P?

As it would be so much easier and cheaper than having to come all the way back over here to just return again the following month!

Cheers

shaun

Hi all,

Yes that sound like fun, we can go for a swim on the river then go for some tea and scones! (you have to say that part in a posh accent) :cheesy:

Pencil me in.

I was also planning to go to W&P with her next year, so you say we can park there, how secure is it to leave them there till W&P?

As it would be so much easier and cheaper than having to come all the way back over here to just return again the following month!

Cheers

shaun

Hello Shaun,

Great if you are prepared to come all that way.

You could also join in the Evesham River Festival which I think will be the 6 & 7 July, though even that was cancelled this year due to so much water.

http://www.eveshamriverfestival.co.uk/index.html

As for parking it is reasonably secure as Bob the landowner run's a truck business so his drivers are coming & going so there is always somebody about & gates are locked overnight, plus a security chap living in a caravan.

A few people this year left their vehicles there in readiness for W&P.

And if you wanted to continue camping there are facilities onsite.

+pm sent.

It will be on the 22 & 23 June.

I'll post a pic of the route during the week as there are two slipways, so possibly starting from the town centre just below the weir, then cruising down river to exit by the ferry.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...