Paint Suppliers - NATO Green Satin

Mettlen

Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying NATO Green paint (satin) for my Saracen and was wondering what experiences you good people had had with suppliers and the quality of paints. Additionally, what should I be looking for in the make up of the paint i.e. oil based etc.

Clostermanns paint seems to be very expensive (twice the price), is it better? I'm thinking of Aesops paint at present.

Sensible views and comments would be most welcome!

Cheers

Ive painted bundles of land rovers in NATO satin green over the years.

What you should do is go to your local car paint shop, thats where I go, what you want is synthetic, the good thing about synthetic is you can put it over anything.

I use a gloss roller.

Ive also used marcus glen in the past, speedy delivery and good paint.

How I painted mine;

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f16/how-hand-paint-landy-pictures-152225.html

I've been using RR Services Warpaint BS361 green (not NATO green) and it's proven a very nice paint to work with. The satin has dried a bit more glossy than I was expecting, but it's been quite humid weather and I seem to remember that can have an effect.

It's actually HMG paint according to the label, who are a well known brand, but obviously RR get it in the matched military colours.

If they do a NATO green you might give that a go. Be warned it dries very quickly though. I got through a number of rollers etc. and a reasonable amount of thinner.

I've been using RR Services Warpaint BS361 green (not NATO green) and it's proven a very nice paint to work with. The satin has dried a bit more glossy than I was expecting, but it's been quite humid weather and I seem to remember that can have an effect.

It's actually HMG paint according to the label, who are a well known brand, but obviously RR get it in the matched military colours.

If they do a NATO green you might give that a go. Be warned it dries very quickly though. I got through a number of rollers etc. and a reasonable amount of thinner.

Me too ! NATO Green and Deep Bronze Green are fine for spraying when thinned slightly with white spirit ! :-D

Personally I too go for synthetic, and price-wise you can't beat my local supplier in Lowford, near Burseldon, Southampton, they are called 'Autopaint', and they'll mix up anything from 500mls upward in any colour, THE cheapest I've ever found. I use their paint on my Saracen, see it on 'www.greenbeastorg.com' .....

Lauren, are you sure about the number? Can't be green if it starts with 3 :)

361 is Light Stone

I've probably got that wrong then. Numbers on the brain. Its the post war version of SCC15 that I'm using, something like BS 3.14159265358979323....

298 rings a bell?

Edited by Lauren Child

Lauren if it starts with a 2 then its some form of green. 298 is olive drab, so memory not so bad after all :-D

Matt I went to that place a few years ago & found them quite unhelpful when I tried to get a match for the Shorland. Maybe they are ok if you can provide the BSC. In the absence of this they wanted the model of car & year. Despite explaining the unusual nature of the vehicle once they found that Shorland 1966 was not listed they weren't willing to make a match from the sample that I took.

Now the radiater place further up on the corner by the main road I have found most obliging & used them several times.

Thanks all, Marcus Glenn seems to come highly recommended although a bit more expensive. Reading some of the other threads some have paint gloss as an undercoat followed by a satin coat. The idea sounds nice, I do wonder about the longevity of satin on gloss!!!

Cheers