Challenger Tank Fleet

Luke131

Hello folks

Having the privilege of Living in the Purbecks in Dorset I regularly visit the Bovington area. What I have noticed recently are civilian transporters taking away stripped down chassis of Challengers from ABRO the organization employed to rebuild MOD vehicles.

A while back I saw AS90s being stripped down and their hulls being shipped out. I learnt later that they were going for scrap. Does any one know if this is the same for the challenger or are they going into storage?

If so it seems just the sort of stupid thing Mr cameron and his chums would allow, perfectly good modern front line vehicles to be waisted in this way.:-(

Thanks

Luke131

I see that Newcastle is to close so the vehicle on thegate might be up for grabs if you are lucky. It is V9 the last of theprototypes. It is to the Oman build but has been disguised to look like a UKvehicle. As far as I know it is complete but unarmoured.

As for the Challenger hulls leaving DSG in Bovington theyare probably going to Ashchurch and eventual disposal. The Army now have moreChallenger 2 than they need so vehicle that require rebuild are being disposedoff. Nothing to do with the arms limitation as we have nowhere near enoughtanks to get onto that radar.

I wonder if we will see them coming through Withams? I can see the blurb now 'last one ever, rare opportunity..' and my personal favourite...'stripped ready for rebuild'...if you hadnt stripped it we wouldnt need to rebuild it..!