Bedford MK 500

Last time I checked this out it was illegal unless of course you declared it and paid duty. The allowance Tony is talking about is or was for biodiesel refined at home or recycled chip oil. The amount of paperwork involved looked

to be horrendous.

One of our members used filtered cooking oil in his Reo, it completely fouled up the filters. The engine was designed to run on diesel, and I think that thats what I would put in there........... it could work out rather expensive in the long run.

I should point out that our member did put the cooking oil in with diesel, maybe the oil congealed through not mixing with the diesel ?????

I suspect that cooking oil without having a heater in the filter would block the filter. There is a kit on the market to fit a heater on the filter to use this. However it has to be started on derv and stopped on it for it to work.

The limit for use of Bio- deisal is 2500 litres per household tax free. However there are no checks to know much you make anyway as no paperwork has to be kept if you make your own. However you cannot sell or give your surplus to anyone else.

My BMW 525 has done 100.000 miles on bio-deisel without problems. (about 18p per litre !! )

I suspect that cooking oil without having a heater in the filter would block the filter. There is a kit on the market to fit a heater on the filter to use this. However it has to be started on derv and stopped on it for it to work.

The limit for use of Bio- deisal is 2500 litres per household tax free. However there are no checks to know much you make anyway as no paperwork has to be kept if you make your own. However you cannot sell or give your surplus to anyone else.

My BMW 525 has done 100.000 miles on bio-deisel without problems. (about 18p per litre !! )

You are correct about the heater, but the filters are still prone to blockage and need to be changed much more frequently than normal. As you say the vehicle has to be stopped and started on diesel so needs two fuel tanks with two sets of fuel lines and filters to work effectively. A lot of Reo owners in the States run on old engine oil but only after the use of centrifuges and multiple filters before putting it in the tank. I have seen pictures of some of the set ups used and they are mind boggling. Needless to say there is a lot of info on the Steel Soldiers forum about the methods used.

wheni bought my MK the old owner said it was good for a 50 50 mix oil diesel in summer and 20 80 in winter,the veg oil gets thinker with the cold and is not good for the pump...i remember in seeing in Aldi veg oil 10p cheaper than diesel but we were onto the ferry to holland the next day so just waited to fill up there, there used to be lots of people filling up with cheap veg a few years ago( there are other forums online about it) from loss leader supermarkets but most now sell it at the same price or more expensive than diesel....but used veg oil is a totaly diffrent story, you have to filter and filter and filter again, and make sure you get all the water out aswell as your chips