Tent Waterproofing

44GPW

Question

Guys,

Can anyone recommend a product they have used to Waterproof a WW2 Canvas tent?

Mines never been done and dont want to risk a week in Normandy without doing it.

Thanks

Richard

10 answers to this question

Funny enough, I just did the tilt on the 101, and used the B&Q stuff (Thompson's appears to have changed their formula and there is no longer any mention of canvas on their "Improved Formula").

I only had a chance to do one coat before we had all that rain lately and its certainly done the trick....dry a a bone inside.

Funny enough, I just did the tilt on the 101, and used the B&Q stuff (Thompson's appears to have changed their formula and there is no longer any mention of canvas on their "Improved Formula").

I only had a chance to do one coat before we had all that rain lately and its certainly done the trick....dry a a bone inside.

Coincidence, I did the tilt on my 101 on Saturday. Used all 5 litres of fabsil. £28 quid delivered from ebay. Seems fine.

MT

The cheapest waterproofing for canvas by far. ... is actually very simple. Most people overlook its simplicity. It is sold here in New Zealand under a brand name but is simply a 40%mix of PVA (White) Glue and water. It is an excellent waterproofing agent for all types of canvas, it will not leave marks or change the colour and best of all it is NOT flammable. I have done my WWII Original Bell tent and the canvas on our Mortar Trailer amongst other things. It is easy to apply and really works in a downpour...

Our 'dry' ten p worth

It was one of my fears with any waterproofing putting it on the Bell and destroying it totally. There was no glaze and i have had no condensation issues on the inside. I would have thought it wouldnt breath also, but i guess there are so many gaps under the tent it doesnt really matter. I guess you have to take the pros and cons from all available sources. I have seen a Bell go up in flames due to the fabric and waterproofing agent. I have seen a canvas tent fall apart, it was perfectly water resistant but the product ate the stitching.

012.jpg

The PVA remains flexible enough for folding without cracking also. It was the best product without being flammable and solvent based.

1 of my friends has just bought a civvy canvas tent for the comming season.

It's got a white roof and blue walls.

He needs to change the colour and waterproof it.

I have come up with the idea of using fence panel stain.

Ive tried it on a very old thick cotton sheet, and a piece of wood, and the results look promising.

I will be doing it at overlord and will start a thread with photos when ive done it.