Odd facts

wdbikemad

Having a sift through some paperwork the other day whilst working on the book.....came across some related info that may interest Forum members......it concerns "new" kit for issue from 1972 onwards.....

TML's - the green poly-cotton lightweight trousers......announced in 1971 for introduction during 1972.....in the meantime, the older 60 pattern "Trousers Overall Green" were to continue on issue but made in the new fabric......

Hairy combat shirt......green version to be introduced during 72, khaki brown version to be made in the interim......

Poly-cotton press-fastened coveralls.....announced in 71, for introduction during 72....version in black for RTR.....

68 Pattern DPM suit......undergoing final trials for issue during late 71-72.......DPM 60 pattern for the interim period 70-72......

New (DPM) parka to be introduced from 75-76...old (green) pattern to remain in use until stocks depleted........

New pattern wooly pully under development to have a tighter weave less resistant to snagging, shrinking, etc.....

New nylon poncho for issue from 72 onwards......

Other items of interest....

Puttees to replace the old anklets from 75 onwards .......production of coloured regimental versions (eg - rifle green) not to continue.....

Tropical combats in DPM introduced from 75-76 onwards......

Development work going on into high-leg boots, new para helmet, etc.....:-D

It's a slow process, unfortunately.........now written most of the text covering all the standard temperate dress from 1950-odd to 95..........it's now the odd items to cover (windproofs, waterproofs, etc)......I'll get there !

Yes some nice snippets I agree. The only one I'd query is the "puttees from 75 onwards". I started in 72 & was issued with puttees not anklets, even then.

Never saw anyone wearing anklets from then on. I thought they had dropped out about 1970 except for the ACF who still had BDs at the time ?

As an aside, I recall reading in 'Soldier'...must be about 74/75...about the new replacement for No2 dress uniform that was being trialled & never happened. I recall there was a picture of the proposed new kit & it looked very much like the gear the Bundeswher were wearing at the time, grey jacket & green trousers if memory serves. Anyone else remember that ?

Howard