International. Chassis needs some attention

Likewise question the International label. The back axle shows no sign of exposed half shafts as per a Dalton diff assembly.

Gear box attached to the motor dating it around mid 1920's. Wooden spoked wheels dating to mid 20's. Note also tyres with singles on the back. Grey tyres to me indicate a European blend of rubber.

As for the chassis mis-shape, it appears to have been heated to get the shape. The colour of the chassis rails at the point of being bent is totally different in colour to the rest of the chassis,as if its fresher rust.

My two bobs worth.

Doug

Looks like a nice project, a lot of good parts for the basis of a restoration. It's a shame about the chassis rails, but it looks like straight channel so if the original couldn't be bent back to shape,some new ones could be fabricated.

Or maybe find another chassis? There are still a lot of old farm trailers out there. :-D

Question to Tim; Where did this picture come from? Which country?

In the background one of the boats has an ID upon it commencing with IL. Could this be Illinois, USA.

The radiator beside the truck looks to be of the time, however the tapered edges of the top ( its upside down) looks more like for an earlier vehicle. The label on it may be a clue. Labeled N.L or E. If this was a label of identity it could be Nelson- Le Moon, or Netco.

Notice the position of the magneto high up on the side of the motor.

Doug

What a clever bunch you all are. it is indeed in Illinois. it does have 1916 NL on the rad but not sure of the relevance of it. I was quite convinced that someone had had a go at the diff, but it is actually leaking oil. Chassis really is quite rotten, but thats an easy bit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/International-Harvester-Other?item=330725544276&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8231356868897920928

Tim

.... I was quite convinced that someone had had a go at the diff, but it is actually leaking oil. Chassis really is quite rotten, but thats an easy bit......

So was I! That is so deceptive :wow:

But unless it has been swung around recently, that oil could be a sign that the rear axle has gradually filled right up with water, thereby pushing the floating oil out from the top. Not good.....

• 1 month later...