1970's German Uniform .

snowtracdave

Can I ask for advice on what uniform would be appropriate to my 1974 Unimog aircraft tractor ? Not sure as yet if this comes under Luftwaffe or Bundeswehr jurisdiction (or even some other department ) But I know one or more of you great guys will come up with something inspiring ! Thanks .

Wow - Now that is what I call a rapid response !!!!! Thanks Richard . If it helps you I'm 5' 102 ish and around 38-40" chest . But kind as your offer is I couldn't accept a freebie - it would have to be postage plus a little something at the very least .

Best wishes , Dave

now we are all most the same in height and build wow

Dave please take it (free) as i got it on EBay for a xmas party that got cancelled (don't ask0 so it has been sitting in my wardrobe for some time and the wife keeps nagging.....

tell you what postage and a bit extra in a poppy tin this November, hows that

I would assume your vehicle is Luftwaffe. I believe they wore similar stuff for day to day as the Bundeswehr but with the obvious differences for badges and headgear. The moleskins stuff is always good for the winter. I don't know when the flektarn stuff came in - but would assume mid to late eighties. There are some real West German military experts out there - I know of a great bloke who used to do Bund re-enactments with an Iltis and a T2 van plus a VW beetle and assorted two wheeled stuff. His era was the pre-flektarn time methinks. What about Vehicle reg - is yours a Y series like my Iltis?? I presume so because this is the standard military letter I tried to get some made last year - but the Germans changed the law on this and made it impossible to get some proper pressed steel/tin versions..so it's make your own time. I don't know enough - about the vehicles or kit for this time (My Iltis was built in 1979 and was in service until 1996) having enough trouble trying to translate my way on to the German MV forums pinged to us by DCLI. Always happy to share info. I do have a link to a German site detailing formation signs - not sure if it does Luftwaffe too, will check and ping on if useful. My heap came from 280 Panzer Brigade at Castle Martin - which collates to a sausage in a box with a diagonal line through it. Clever people those Germans....

Every little helps ;) The Mog is a 406 double cab , I have a letter from Daimler Chrysler UK and a copy of the original manufacturer data card confirming date of manufacture as 25th April 1974 . Unfortunately nobody bothered to find that out until after it arrived over here so it ended up on a Q plate . Other than details of a couple of subsequent owners that is all I know so far . The state of the floor leads me to believe that it may have been owned by one F Flintstone in a previous life .

D

Hi Dave,

in the late sixties through to the late seventies most German army members wore the gray shirt, trouser /parka uniform as a basic day to day uniform wit the American style helmet / jump boots. It may be worth a visit to your local second hand book shop to browse and get ideas.

On the upper arm of shirts etc were worn the German national colours Red /Yellow Black, I believe that some time in the mid seventies the rank insignia changed from sew on to slip on insignia.

Just a few thoughts from memory jogging.

Ashley

This confirms my response! The German stuff is always very well made. I presume the older grey uniforms are still easy to find. The steel helmets are easy enough to find, of course. I got mine for £5 several Beltrings ago. Bundeswehr stuff always seems/seemed to be cheap - but I bet now you want it, it will have shot up in price.

• 2 weeks later...