Ford GPW 1942

Last year we purchased a second contract 1942 Ford GPW. We are not doing the restoration in one go but doing bits as we go along. It is a great jeep which has been quite reliable over the last year. It has some early parts which were only featured in this contract. We do not know much history of this jeep apart from that it was bought to England in 1987 and was aprently restored and used in the film memphis belle ( if you believe the story).

Over the winter a few problems have creeped up, we need to replace the water pump and replace an oil seal and whatever else crops up.

DSC04361.jpg

DSC05249.jpg

DSC05250.jpg

100_2116.jpg

010.jpg

Nice early inletmanifold! Is it an original Ford engine? Other parts F-marked? ;)

Yep there are a lot of nice early parts, a lot of Fs too which is nice (just hidden under lots of paint!). The engine block is Willys but the head is ford and F marked. I have heard that a lot of the early ford engines had a habbit of cracking and this may have been one of them.

Yep there are a lot of nice early parts, a lot of Fs too which is nice (just hidden under lots of paint!). The engine block is Willys but the head is ford and F marked. I have heard that a lot of the early ford engines had a habbit of cracking and this may have been one of them.

A friend just had an original Ford engine internally rebuilt and I did the outside (optical) bit. Indeed lots of original 'F'-markings came from under the paint; always a nice surprise! It has a NOS head and nearly all other parts are Ford as well. When I do some pics I'll post them here.

I had a lot of help from the 'MVPA GPW Judging Guide' that can be found on http://www.g503.com/.

Greetz :D

David

A friend just had an original Ford engine internally rebuilt and I did the outside (optical) bit. Indeed lots of original 'F'-markings came from under the paint; always a nice surprise! It has a NOS head and nearly all other parts are Ford as well. When I do some pics I'll post them here.

I had a lot of help from the 'MVPA GPW Judging Guide' that can be found on http://www.g503.com/.

Greetz :D

David

That would be great to see some pictures! Sounds like a nice jeep

• 1 year later...

Its been a while sinse i've put anything on here, truth is we haven't done a lot to it!

It was decided that a few few oil leaks needed to be tended to and a general inspection including removal of the sump.

DSC07740_zpsd136031a.jpg

DSC07741_zps82fb46fb.jpg

DSC07742_zps9621aeab.jpg

DSC07743_zps86ba3aa6.jpg