Got myself a RAF Landrover

m109a3uk

Found this little gem local to me From RAF Odiham. Into service In 1986 At RAF Odiham and was used by the Glider school there. When it came up for sale the Onsite Civvy Glider school bought it for towing the winch ropes out to the gliders. It has only been used on the base and lived inside most of its life. One coat of green the a nice thick coat of airfield yellow.

20120415_123736[1].jpg

20120415_123702[1].jpg

Tony,

nice MOBILE transportation machine, does the yellow extend to inside the vehicle as well? What does the military data plate designate it as?

R

Hi Robin its data plate is TRUCK-UTILITY-LIGHT-GS-CARGO-SOFT-TOP-12V-4X4-LAND-ROVER-LTD-90-DIESEL

The landrover has not left the base and has not been mucked about with. Its plain Nato green inside.

Edited by m109a3uk

Hi Robin its data plate is TRUCK-UTILITY-LIGHT-GS-CARGO-SOFT-TOP-12V-4X4-LAND-ROVER-LTD-90-DIESEL

The landrover has not left the base and has not been mucked about with.

that is what my data plate says.

what is the reg?

Mark

Lovely looking Land Rover.

So it came from Cranwell, and will now live at Sandhurst? Any plans for it to end up in Dartmouth?

2 different Landrovers. It plans on staying in Sandhurst for the forseable future:cool2:

Stunning machine! A great find! Reminds me of the yellow ex-RAF 90 that I sold nearly a year ago - owned by Lex but leased to the RAF, a civvy pattern TD5 90 SW. Lovely machine, just over 10,000 miles in the 5 years of service and virtually new when I got it! But just too slow and thirsty on long runs so, unusually, common sense got the better of me I'm afraid.... :cry:

Duncan.

Stunning machine! A great find! Reminds me of the yellow ex-RAF 90 that I sold nearly a year ago - owned by Lex but leased to the RAF, a civvy pattern TD5 90 SW. Lovely machine, just over 10,000 miles in the 5 years of service and virtually new when I got it! But just too slow and thirsty on long runs so, unusually, common sense got the better of me I'm afraid.... :cry:

Duncan.

I would have thought that a TD5 would buzz along! Did you get it from Manchester a mate there had a few of them?

I would have thought that a TD5 would buzz along! Did you get it from Manchester a mate there had a few of them?

Yes, I bought it from Marple Road Garage in Stockport, Tim was the chap a dealt with - top chap! They had a neat link with Lex who were the lessors at the time and were based in Stockport. I remember him saying that he used to travel all round the place to RAF stations to collect them. They had a large batch of yellow 90s which all came to the end of their 5-year lease in mid-late 2008 with very, very low mileages in addition to a range of other civvy pattern 90s and 110s. Immaculate condition, under the bonnet was spotless - even when I sold it after 2 and a half years and 12,000 extra miles!! The bloke who bought it - in Bournemouth - couldn't believe his luck!! As I understand, they leased more yellow 90s to replace them but this time on 8-year leases, so keep your eyes open in 2016! Sadly, other parts of the RAF such as mountain rescue went away from Land Rovers.

Problem was on long runs, the gearing was still wrong and it was just never relaxed! I did replace the 205 tyres with 750 Avon Rangemasters which were better, but it really needed an overdrive to cruise comfortably on long runs. I used to do runs from Stockport to Southampton and then Oakham to Southampton - the former near enough a 500 mile round trip and you'd arrive feeling battered! I loved it to bits and do miss it - it was cool as anything :cool:, but it was the right decision I'm afraid! I replaced it with a MG-ZT estate which is rapid and gets me there in next to no time, using two thirds of the fuel! It also leaves me more cash to spend on the 109 ambulance, the Green Goddess and maybe one day - the unmolested ex-RM / RCT lightweight in my parents garage.....

Duncan.

Yep Tim is a top chap and know him Well. I saw one of the new 90s down at Odiham the other day and have its card marked:cool2:. Good choice on the MG-ZT they are a great car. I also have a cmdo LT/LW its on a KC reg one of the last on a B reg (it was Tims Sisters:)) Must do it or sell it!

Yes, I think those 90s will be highly sought after in a few years! I assume they were pumas with the Ford engine? I might put the date in my calendar too..... ;)

I keep thinking I must do something with the lightweight really - it's just slowly rotting away in the garage, the brakes have seized and the tyres are flat etc. But, we've had it since it was cast in 1992 and it's sort of part of the family now! It's a 1983 / KB, started with the RCT then 40 and 42 Cdo. Still had the piece of wood across the front to stop the helicopter strops from chaffing the bonnet etc. 12v but with racking inside for clansman and wing mount for radio on the near-side. When we bought an ex-RAF 90 a good few years ago, we did try to sell it but no luck - was probably half-hearted really. Needs a lot of work doing to recommission and I haven't the time these days. We did get it back on the road about 5 years ago - bought a new hood, has all the brake lines replaced etc - but then it just went back in the garage. Maybe one day....

Duncan.

• 2 weeks later...