Saga Magazine Story....

RattlesnakeBob

Found myself in the dentists yesterday and whilst waiting idly picked up a copy of 'Saga'...being honest I thought it was quite a good magazine ..amongst the many interesting stories was one from an old fella that had been in Tanks in Italy during the war......what made the story very unique was the fact that he and his crew had 'liberated' some hens and then had modified a storage locker on the back of their tank for them to live in....whenever they had a quiet moment they would let 'their' hens out for a scratch about tucking them safely back in their locker whenever they had to move..this went on for a good time with the crew being rewarded by a steady stream of fresh eggs ... the hens were eventually lost to much sadness amongst the fellas but only a day or later a mortar shell destroyed their 'nest box' on the back of the tank so the lads consoled themselves with the fact that at least their escaped hens were probably still alive somewhere.....

.....it was very well written tale and brought a little humanity to what would otherwise have been just another WW2 story....

I was called in for an administration of pain and discomfort as I was just getting to the end of the story and did intend to pick the mag up on the way out so I could put a few more details on here but ....completely forgot to do so ......and hadn't looked either unfortunately to see what month or edition or year the magazine was.... .......I just wondered if anyone else had seen this story anywheres???

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Saddo that I am, I googled this and found the story here:

http://www.saga.co.uk/lifestyle/people/real-lives/my-story-a-small-holding-at-cassino.aspx

One of the old boys of the Manx Regiment, the 15th Light Ack Ack with the 7th Armd Div, told me a similar story. When they were in the desert they were using Morris CDSW 6x4s to tow their Bofors guns. The rear body of these things consists of a series of side lockers for ammo, and a lidded "well", accessible only from above. The chickens were kept in the well and provided them with fresh eggs.

It's wonderful hearing stuff like this because it never gets into the official histories. When our CDSW restoration is finished it will be decorated with a few chicken feathers to give an authentic touch. I don't want to be criticised by the farmyard fowl equivalent of rivet-counters so does anybody know what colour Egyptian chickens would have been in 1941-43?

Edited by Ivor Ramsden