Automotive & Radio Batteries 110 Ah 12 volts

mill comms

Hi All,

I am having problems with 12v 110Ah Automotive batteries. They are dated 2001 but will only charge to 8 volts.

The are identical to batteries fitted to armourd vehicles.

They are made by Hawker Energy, NSN-6140-99-219-2903 rated at 12 volts 110 Ah.

Does anyone out there know how to revive these batteries, or a source of new batteries.

Thanks 8-)

They are the identical to those fitted next to the drivers right hand side of a FV 432. The problem with civvy replacements is that they dont fit in battery box.Does anyone know who has these for sale.Type is Lead Acid Maintenance free.The ones fitted to my Communications Cabin came back from OP TELIC"14 sig rgt" in 2003 so may have suffered from extreme heat.

That NSN gives the manufacturer as Chloride Industrial, Manchester, 0161 794461.

Two MOD specs show up SPEC 264 also I assume a later one DGLES SPEC763.

Have you been using them ok up until now or just come across them? If I am thinking of the right oes, usually from dealer they are sold without acid. I think it cost me £25 to get a battery supplier to fill two up. The best price I have seen on them at shows is from Andy Lane I think, also LMS had them, prices vary from £20 to £40 each

That NSN gives the manufacturer as Chloride

Two MOD specs show up SPEC 264 also I assume a later one DGLES SPEC763.

I gave an incorrect NATO designation for the square batteries, they are 6TN. And from recollection, which i have just checked and confirmed, the black ones were originally 100ah, they appear now to be 110ah, perhaps this is what the later spec is about. I once bought a German army one, white plastic casing and that was marked as 110ah

Richard

Thanks for the Replys. I will check this list against my batteries. Thanks.

PS. If i buy a DRY battery(uncharged) what do you have to fill it with.Is it sulphuric acid or Distilled water or a mix of both. was told they have to be filled with something called electrolyte. Can this be obtained from somewhere wike a motor parts shop.?? :evil:

Can this be obtained from somewhere wike a motor parts shop.?? :evil:

Nope you will find it very difficult/impossible to obtain sulphuric acid in these Health & Safety/litigation days. I tried several battery dealers & there was grunting & head shaking at first, we only put acid in our batteries & won't accept liability etc. Just depends on attitude of bloke behind counter.

If a battery is dry stored, ie no electrolyte, do they still have a shelf life,or are they indefinite life untill activated by acid??

Radar,

They do have a storage life whilst dry and can suffer if they are past this date. Some NOS ones from MoD surplus stock may not last long due to being dry for an over long period. Problem with these NATO type batteries is the square size and many mv's have battery compartments made to suit them making it difficult to substitute a civvy type. As I said before, they are available from battery suppliers, they are in the Bosch battery list, Lucas can supply, etc. Just ask for 6TN type.

Richard