ID from Zap Number?

Enfield1940

I'm 99% sure this is a stupid question (so please be gentle with me) but is there a way of working out what unit someone was in from their zap number? I have a CS95 desert DPM jacket with a 4th Mechanized Brigade badge on one arm and an ISAF one on the other. However, there's a gap above the ISAF badge where I assume there was a unit badge or TRF and being a sad g!t it's bugging me what it was.

The jacket has a zap number penned inside: 'EV1623'.

Cheers,

Mark

• 5 months later...
I'm 99% sure this is a stupid question (so please be gentle with me) but is there a way of working out what unit someone was in from their zap number? I have a CS95 desert DPM jacket with a 4th Mechanized Brigade badge on one arm and an ISAF one on the other. However, there's a gap above the ISAF badge where I assume there was a unit badge or TRF and being a sad g!t it's bugging me what it was.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

The short answer to your question is "NO".

I dont know if you are aware, but a serviceman/womans "Zap number" is made up from the first two letters of their surname and the last four numbers of their service number.

Having just spoken to my son, (serving regular army), apparently, you are very lucky to have got the jacket still with the ISAF patch.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Mark

The short answer to your question is "NO".

I dont know if you are aware, but a serviceman/womans "Zap number" is made up from the first two letters of their surname and the last four numbers of their service number.

Having just spoken to my son, (serving regular army), apparently, you are very lucky to have got the jacket still with the ISAF patch.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

What Ian says.

The zap number has clearly come a long way since my day. The whole purpose of the sap number is to uniquely identify anyone in the unit without giving names, numbers, ranks etc over open comms channels or having to waste time encoding and decoding what might be an urgent personal message (as personal as it might be on an open net).

There are plenty of ways of identifying someone without using names:

"Hello 24 this 2, fetch Pronto" tells us that the squadron (etc) HQ wants to talk to the radio operator on callsign 24. But it would be a bitch to tell 24's operator that his granny has died, then find that actually because Sunray of callsign 24C was medevaced yesterday, Pronto of 24 assumed command of 24C and 24's operator is actually some new boy posted in last week.

I only first saw the zap number concept right at the end of my time in 15/19H (1982?): iirc it was simply a two (maybe three)-digit numerical list of all ranks in the squadron, maybe alphabetical to allow interpreting the numbers in both directions (name -> number and number -> name).

Cheers,

Mark

Here, try this

SSgt Gareth Evans. 1623evans@armymail.mod.uk. 33ENGR-21FdSqnEOD- SQMS

1623evans@armymail.mod.uk is his military email.

Here, try this

SSgt Gareth Evans. 1623evans@armymail.mod.uk. 33ENGR-21FdSqnEOD- SQMS

1623evans@armymail.mod.uk is his military email.

Well b*gg*r me - I think you've cracked it.:wow: I've had a theory for a while that it might have belonged to a member of the 33rd Engineer Regiment. I bought it at the local car boot sale and just up the road from me is the Carver Barracks near Saffron Walden where the 33rd are based. Elements participated in Op Herrick XII - HQ 4th Mechanized Brigade.

I assume the initials count as Staff Sergeant Gareth Evans - 33rd Engineer Regiment - 21 Field Squadron - Explosive Ordnance Disposal - Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant?

I attach a pic. It's in mint condition and has some sharp creases in it. Perhaps it was only used at the homecoming parade? Would anyone like to take a guess on what the missing badge on the right shoulder is? A TRF patch?

http://www.awesomekit.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3209

CS95 Desert DPM Jacket - 4th Mechanized Brigade.jpg

• 3 weeks later...