Rear Diff Lamp Bedford MW

44GPW

Guys,

In the process of connecting up my rear diff lamp and switch but something seems odd about the lamp itself?

Instead of having a cable entry one end and a bulb entry the other, it seems to have a double fillament bulb connection both ends?? One side has a bakerlite? Cap, the other what looks like what would direct the beam of light to the diff, but no means of holding a bulb??

Bracket is stamped JWD-T.C.1

Clearly its not the correct part,so what is it?

Does anyone have details/photos of a correct diff lamp.

Thanks

Richard

1088700.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-03-31 1088701.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-03-31 1088702.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-03-31 1088703.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-03-31

Guys,

In the process of connecting up my rear diff lamp and switch but something seems odd about the lamp itself?

Instead of having a cable entry one end and a bulb entry the other, it seems to have a double fillament bulb connection both ends?? One side has a bakerlite? Cap, the other what looks like what would direct the beam of light to the diff, but no means of holding a bulb??

Bracket is stamped JWD-T.C.1

Clearly its not the correct part,so what is it?

Does anyone have details/photos of a correct diff lamp.

Thanks

Richard

I think you will find its a trailer plug, well worth having as not too many have survived

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just found an older post on Trailer plugs and your right! I just assumed it was something to do with the rear diff lamp as its positioned near the switch. Nice additional feature to have on the Bedford then?

Does anyone have a photo of a correct rear diff lamp please?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Pete,

Nice additional feature to have on the Bedford then?

Thanks

Richard

Hello Richard yes it is a nice addition particularly as yours looks in very good condition with the plug and cap still attached. Due to their location they tended to rust away years ago and all you find is the remains of the bracket if you are lucky. I think I'm right in saying that the socket was not a factory fit but was added as and when required but I stand to be corrected on that point.

Very occasionally they turn up in auto jumbles as NoS and I've seen several over the years at boot sales in various states of disrepair, if you see one at a fair price buy it some one will want it.

Glad your rewire was successful did you find the meter useful?

Pete

Hello Richard,

Pete is spot on with what he's said. It would seem logical the mw's would have a trailer socket, but there is no mention of them, so as pete said probobly a post factory addition. Still a nice item to have on your truck.

The diff lights are still available NOS from john mortor.

Regards Rippo

Interesting. I was told that the item shown doubled up as both a trailer socket and a diff light. The feed would go to the electrical socket head that is doing nothing at the moment and if used for the trailer then the cap would be dropped off and the trailer lead put in there. If a diff lamp was needed then the feed would be put in to the 'capped' end and a bulb would be put in the end facing the diff. Obviously I was informed wrong but it did seem that what was said would work. So what does the correct diff lamp look like?

Hi Pete,

Thanks

Richard

Richard

I had a poke about in my pile of 'might be useful stuff' today, I thought I had a diff light but it turns out I only have the bracket and base section with the socket, it's missing the the bulb shield and it's a bit grotty. If your stuck drop me a PM and I'll send you some pictures.

Pete

Chaps, here is the diff lamp I fitted to my Tilly. This is the 'Buttlers' lamp, and you can find them NOS. 'Lucas' would probably be more correct....if you can find one?

Also the changeover switches are always around NOS.

The idea is:- you wire up the floodlamp and tail lamp so that you can change from one to the other via the switch. On the tilly it is fitted under the vehicle on a bracket. But on some vehicles it is on the rear panel below the tail board.

Here is my Tilly with correct working installation. For the sake of legal requirements and safety...I also have more modern lights and indicators.

The plug/socket is indeed for a trailer.

Ron

Tilly 09 040.jpg

Tilly 09 042.jpg

Tilly 09 041.jpg

Edited by Ron

Chaps, I forgot to mention in my previous post about the junction box that is used in conjunction with the switch. These also seem to be around NOS. You can see the location for it on the bracket on my Tilly.

Here is the changeover switch and junction box. Mounted to the rear chassis rail on my Morris Commercial.

Hope it helps. Ron

Morris PU 84 021.jpg

Hello Ron,

I am still looking for a diff lamp to put on my QL, any id where I need to look for this part.

I have the right switch and junction box for this set up.

Guy

They turn up on e-bay sometimes but the best place to look is the big auto jumbles and military shows.

Pete

Guy. If you don't find one before I see you next, I will save you this one if you're happy with a 'Butlers' I can't remember what I paid for it, so we would have to check the going rate.

I was going to fit a brake lamp to my Tilly, but I found that for my contract, the brake lamp had been omitted. I paid £45 for this NOS Lucas lamp from a Dutch bloke. Ron

R 027.jpg

R 028.jpg

Guy / Ron,

Nice of you to help each other out on my post!!

Adrain, yes, i could do with a couple of those for my Bedford if you have a couple you would sell?

Still need the correct Diff lamp. I will contact John Morter to see if he still has some.

Richard

Hello Richard,

I have had a look at an original wiring loom taken from a 1944 mw. To my suprise both the trailer socket and the diff light are fitted with the standard loom. I didm't have my camera but i will take a photo on the morning.

From the switch for the diff light, the wire that goes to the diff light has a live for the trailer socket braching off about 6 inches before the diff light. The junction box, switch, trailer socket, and diff light are all still attched to the loom i have.

What year is the wiring diagram your using? Maybe a diagram from a 1944 manual will show this.

Regards John

44 GPW. Sorry if we hijacked your thread! These things will often turn into general discussion, which I thought was what it is all about.

I agree with you Adrian. It is a tail lamp. But also used as a stop lamp. Probably fitted with a higher wattage bulb though.

Did I pay too much for it? (£45).

Ron

Edited by Ron

I agree with you Adrian. It is a tail lamp. But also used as a stop lamp. Probably fitted with a higher wattage bulb though.

Did I pay too much for it? (£45).

Ron

You could have had one from me for a lot less! Sorry!

I've done the same many times Ron, I'm sure we all have...... If only we had known. :red:

Ah well, I guess I'll just keep it until the prices go up to what I paid for it. These things are like bus's. Never there when you want one....Then three come together. I'm not bitter though. 45 quid won't change my life much. Ron

Hi

This is a trailer socket. They were designed to link several trailers together. The axle flood light has a long lamp cover and is about 1.5 inch diameter. they were made by both Lucas and Butler. hope this helps.