Trials(85 Pattern???) PLCE Bergen+Side Pockets.

Scotch Harry

If 85 dated, it will be part of the pre-PLCE trial kit.......earliest (green) standard PLCE tends to be dated 88-onwards....

An interesting point, but the pre-PLCE side pouches, whilst almost identical to the later issue ones, will not actually fit onto the later-issue pack.......this is because the zip-attachment is reversed, thus your pouches WILL fit on, but, they will be upside down (lids at the bottom !).......possibly useful for the Australian forces.....? :-D

A pair of trials PLCE 'upside down' bergen side pouches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLCE-Bergan-Side-Pouches-Upside-Down-Zip-Version-/270942422843?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3f156d473b

Price is a bit steep though. Perhaps he's hoping a trials PLCE collector will decide they *must* have them?

My trials PLCE collection has yet to progress beyond an e-tool carrier, but we live in hope.:-)

When assembling a NOS set of issue green PLCE (which is getting more and more difficult ! - it wasn't a couple of years ago....) I bought a NOS set of side pouches for the rucksack only to find they didn't fit......so it was an accidental find really......there is no mention of this in Simon Bradley's excellent book "Modern British Web Equipment" so perhaps few know about this...? I note the hip-pad on your rucksack is attached by press studs Harry...a feature common with the 85 pattern trial kit........

Have a look at Simon's book - it has great shots of the trial PLCE........:-D

I need a yoke and utility pouch to complete my trial PLCE kit........I have one or two spare belts to swap..?!!

Edited by wdbikemad

I need a yoke and utility pouch to complete my trial PLCE kit........I have one or two spare belts to swap..?!!

i have a pouch and yoke which may be trial ( not sure ), they look in a similar style to the pack on here and the pouch i sold ( from what i can remember ) will try to post a pic at some point

I remember trialling this stuff for about a year trying all different configurations and beasting it to destruction, there were 2 sizes of bergan 120l and 85l if I remember right, and at the end of the trial we recommeded it not to be issued as it was c*@p with too many plastic non soldierproof buckles and fiddly straps (that needed black nasty tape to secure them) etc.

Did they take any notice?? Eh No, and we ended up with it anyway, quickly followed by the DPM version we now have. Most Squaddies ended up buying their own stuff or adapting it with miltra or other items to make it more comfortable.

Just my tuppence worth

gary

I remember trialling this stuff for about a year trying all different configurations and beasting it to destruction, there were 2 sizes of bergan 120l and 85l if I remember right, and at the end of the trial we recommeded it not to be issued as it was c*@p with too many plastic non soldierproof buckles and fiddly straps (that needed black nasty tape to secure them) etc.

Did they take any notice?? Eh No, and we ended up with it anyway, quickly followed by the DPM version we now have. Most Squaddies ended up buying their own stuff or adapting it with miltra or other items to make it more comfortable.

Just my tuppence worth

gary

There were indeed several problems with the trial PLCE kit, that included insufficiently-robust plastic buckles and fittings and press-stud fasteners that either broke or came away when you pulled open a pouch.........some of the trial kit I have encountered shows evidence of such damage........

When assembling a NOS set of issue green PLCE (which is getting more and more difficult ! - it wasn't a couple of years ago....) I bought a NOS set of side pouches for the rucksack only to find they didn't fit......so it was an accidental find really......there is no mention of this in Simon Bradley's excellent book "Modern British Web Equipment" so perhaps few know about this...? I note the hip-pad on your rucksack is attached by press studs Harry...a feature common with the 85 pattern trial kit........

Have a look at Simon's book - it has great shots of the trial PLCE........:-D

Dohh ! I should have quoted correctly......Simon Howlett's excellent book........(been dealing with a Bradley all day....hence my muddled mind....:()....apologies Simon.....

• 3 weeks later...
Im a bit confused on what exactly this type of Bergen is and also the PLCE type pouches with the press stud closure as i hear the term "trials" and 85 Pattern-were/are there 2 different types or are both the same just named differently by collectors???

Rumour is that there were several versions of the trial PLCE webbing, but the items generally encountered today all seem to conform to the one pattern.....eg: press-stud fastening pouches, upside-down bergan side pouches, etc......

The set itself was very much a trial version but made in a reasonable quantity to enable widescale user field testing to occur........most items appear to be dated 85 or 86 thus the "85 pattern" label appears to have been applied to the trial set........one and the same.......

Green PLCE of the issue type did not seem to enter production until 88 at the earliest, 58 pattern cotton webbing remaining in use as the standard set up to then..........

• 3 weeks later...

Never seen one of these Bergens before in my life and within the a short space of time now have 2 of the things:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

THis one unlike the other has the info printed inside the top flap but unfortunately its waist belt is missing.

The 2 side pouches seem of lighter more flimsy material than the others. Cannot find any printed markings but written in red on rear of one pouch is--NEW SIZE(GIRTH+25MM).

d82f36a5.jpg

479c87bc.jpg

3b3a20df.jpg

824747fa.jpg

c5d3ed27.jpg

5e924f79.jpg

6d5ffddd.jpg