ferret radio

griff66

having got a nice clansman intercom setup in my ferret am now thinking about a radio set up any one got pics info and or thoughts about such plse? mines a mk 1/2 ferret . at present have larkspur tray but can get hold of clansman angle iron mount.

Edited by griff66

I see that you are in West Sussex, so quite close to me. I used to run Larkspur in my Ferret through an I Box so no radios used. My brother can probably help with the clansman set up as he collects that stuff. I am more into the Larkspur kit. There should be an installation manual somewhere for Clansman Radios in Ferrets? There is certainly one for Larkspur.

having got a nice clansman intercom setup in my ferret am now thinking about a radio set up any one got pics info and or thoughts about such plse? mines a mk 1/2 ferret . at present have larkspur tray but can get hold of clansman angle iron mount.

The PRC 351 and VRC 353 radios can be bought quite cheaply off ebay but you might be better waiting for Beltring to pick up the cables. Might be cheaper to buy the radios at Beltring as well. It wasn't that long ago that someone was selling working 353 radios for £50 each on ebay.

Having the radios fitted is nice but they do tend to get in the way of the person sitting in the commanders seat especially in the MK 2. I realize that the MK 1/2 has a bit more room but its something to think about. Having said that I do not sit in the commanders seat and the earache on the comfort front comes from my better half.

andy , cheers for reply prior to to restoring my ferret all the the camping guff was stowed on rear deck , now bit more precious about paint so i tend to drive ferret on my own to shows whilst bruv drives support vehicle ,so space in ferret not so much of a issue , 353 radio would be good starting point for radio set up? can u post pic so know what i am looking for whilst wandering round beltring , think we met last year at w and p when u and eddy were getting measurements for eds carrier.

Clansman 353 setup in my old Ferret...

radio3.jpg

radio1.jpg

radio2-1.jpg

more info in this thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?5529-ferret-radio

andy , cheers for reply prior to to restoring my ferret all the the camping guff was stowed on rear deck , now bit more precious about paint so i tend to drive ferret on my own to shows whilst bruv drives support vehicle ,so space in ferret not so much of a issue , 353 radio would be good starting point for radio set up? can u post pic so know what i am looking for whilst wandering round beltring , think we met last year at w and p when u and eddy were getting measurements for eds carrier.

W & P seems such a long time ago now we should have stayed for an extra day, it took more than six hours to drive back four of them with me asleep in the back of the rb44. Have a wander over to the Cromwell this year grab a ride / cabby. If you want a 353 give me a shout I bought two of those £50 353 radios. Small house....

Clansman 353 setup in my old Ferret...

radio1.jpg

Is that the standard mounting for 2 times 353 in a Ferret? I really cannot reconcile that with how I remember it, but then again, I only had Clansman for one season; rest of the time was Larkspur (C42 / B47 or 2 times C42) and it took up a lot more space. And the wagon was stuffed to the gunwhales with personal kit.

I do like the seatbelt solution. Very elegant and no doubt a lot safer than the lap straps we had but never used.

Beautiful wagon. Good work.

take a look at the pics in my album for the 353 and 352 set up in a Mk1/2

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=265&attachmentid=24382

don't know how to make the pics actually appear in this thread

if you do the 351 or 352 fit you will need 3 different boxes: DCCU (28v not 14v), IBHA and initiate box

the 352, being longer, does limit the commanders seat movement a bit more than the 353 but the angled mount makes it more conformtable for the commander's back than all the knobs on the 353

unlike the Larkspur set up there is no back rest pad for the commender with the clansman set up

Edited by john fox

• 2 months later...

Were ferret's not normally fitted with one 353 and one 351/2 for remote operating? It meant you could hide the vehicle in the trees and set up a radio in a trench away from it. You could also set the radio to remote and plug in a remote handset using don 10 cable. We use to do this a lot in the Artillery.

Does any one know the dimensions of the triangle shaped radio frame fitted into Ferret's for mounting the 351/2 on. As I wish to make one up.

Thanks Ross

Were ferret's not normally fitted with one 353 and one 351/2 for remote operating? It meant you could hide the vehicle in the trees and set up a radio in a trench away from it. You could also set the radio to remote and plug in a remote handset using don 10 cable. We use to do this a lot in the Artillery.

Depends on the role. Mine was a rebroadcast Ferret intended to park between RHQ and Sqn or RHQ and Formation and increase the range of one net for tactical or technical reasons. Both sides of the rebro needed lots of grunt, hence two times 353.

When our CVR(T)s first got Clansman for Larkspur, the Scorpions and Scimitars each got two times 353 but after a couple of years it was decided that the configuration you describe was more flexible and cut down the expense of one of the 353s in every vehicle.