oil application

rampant rivet

Question

Am restoring Austin Champ 05BE56 and need to lubricate nearly every point with SAE 90 oil instead of the normal grease it has the slide on type nipples whats the best way to apply oil to the nipples that need it :cool2: I have a slide on adaptor for my grease gun but would like to know what to use to apply the oil do I need a special peice of kit ?

Thanks RR.

I have a slide on adaptor for my grease gun

Jeremy what does that look like then??

Clive is right I am on the look out for the corrector applicator and as soon as I get one, we can share......

It may be something you will spot first at Malvern????? If you look at my pig thread you will see the precise piece of kit that does the magic :cool2:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?29788-Now-the-work-will-start-with-13BK33-FV1611A/page2&highlight=rover8ffr

I couldn't find one of those oiler things Clive is on about, an Andy5000 or something like that.

Sooo, what I use for greasing the nipples and spring pins on my old lorry is an artic tractor unit cab-tilt pump and reservoir!

I use a 4' length of 1/4" hydraulic hose fitted with a nipple connector, plumbed into the pump.

Top it up, off you squirt! :D

It can be hard going in cold weather because its designed for 30 grade hydraulic oil :cheesy: but it's never let me down and I've used it a few years now.

I've been meaning to extend the size of the reservoir so it hold more between top-ups, but in the long run so what If you have to fill it up often? :D

Alec.

Oh, for my first attempt at a dedicated oil gun i followed the following article a couple of years ago:

http://www.omgtr.ca/technical/highpressureoiler/highpressureoiler.htm

The three guns I tried weren't really suitable, so after making an arse of them all and throwing them in the bin, I stuck with the cab pump.... :D

Alec

I have just done some research and the Andy 5000 draws a massive blank and Indeed nothing like it comes up. Drats....

However I did stumble across these items.....So to convert an oil/ grease gun, which attachements / nipples closest resemble the Humber and Champ fitting??

Found them on this site http://www.lumatic.co.uk/oil-gun-accessories.htm

Looking at Humber Pictures, the Nipple to farthest right in Brass...............I suggest

ind-hook-on SS.jpg

hd-hook-conector HD.jpg

hook-connector Standard.jpg

hook-on Brass.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR

Doh !! I have one of those oil pumps similar to that down t'shed forget I had it to be honest but will it pump EP 90 through those slide on nipples ? my old pump thingy only has a piece of garden hose attached at the mo But I am sure I can adapt something to make it work if not will have to keep an eye out for one shown int tuther thread.

Hey Wayne wonna borrow an oil pump thingy ?? :cool2:

RR.

Jeremy what does that look like then??

Clive is right I am on the look out for the corrector applicator and as soon as I get one, we can share......

It may be something you will spot first at Malvern????? If you look at my pig thread you will see the precise piece of kit that does the magic :cool2:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?29788-Now-the-work-will-start-with-13BK33-FV1611A/page2&highlight=rover8ffr

140.jpg

Would one of these do the job I have one just like it ?

RR

Hey Jeremy great news if your oily thingy is suitable......I just found a modern version on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Pump-Oil-Bucket-High-Pressure-Volume-No-Grease-New-/120716105356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1b3d968c

I suspect the Castrol one would go for a bit less.

PS Yes I may want to borrow it or snap up the Castrol one :-D

That looks spot on and with the hook on attachment......

£75.00 sound okay, especially if those Andy 5000 things are Mega Bucks.......If you can find one that is

The delivery hose is 2metres long also............

Edited by Rover8FFR
added info

according to a Champ lubrication chart it states to use EP 90 on a fair few lubrication nipples which set me off to ask the question

just a quick question, I have been using grease to lubricat the different point on my Champ, is that wrong?

schould I be using a SAE 90 oil instead?

Cheers

I would avoid those modern slide-on connections. They do go over the military Type 11B lubricating nipples but they will leak as you inject. The only dodge is to get a cotton hanky & slide it over the nipple & then the connector. That makes it a tighter fit & as you inject the oil forces cotton fibres apart. You may have to use the hanky folded double. But it is a messy business.

You really need the chunky old fashioned military connection. It is more bulky although those small modern commercial ones are much easier to slide on forwards or slide on back. Not just because they are smaller but they don't form a tight fit!

Andys are not that common admittedly, but there is not a great demand either as people don't really recognise their worth. For squirting oil into diffs sometimes people use sprayers from a garden centre. But of course we need to exert pressure to force oil across seals. Given that a lot of people don't lubricate these vehicles properly & just grease gun everything, then there is no great demand.

I bought mine NOS for £50, I think I sold Dale's for £40 each. I even have even seen Champ Spares selling one for £25. It was very mucky but being oily/greasy a lot of dust had stuck to it & I'm sure it would have cleaned up nicely.

That commercial oil pump you have found could no doubt do the job. It relies on the weight of a big drum full of lubricant to give it stability. So you won't be able to take it down under the Humber. You could put the oil in a smaller drum but it will be difficult to draw the lever up, whereas the Andy has foot rest that pulls out for stability. If I am down under, I can use one hand to steady it downwards as I draw the pump handle up.

Am restoring Austin Champ 05BE56 and need to lubricate nearly every point with SAE 90 oil instead of the normal grease it has the slide on type nipples whats the best way to apply oil to the nipples that need it :cool2: I have a slide on adaptor for my grease gun but would like to know what to use to apply the oil do I need a special peice of kit ?

Thanks RR.

f the suspension should be lubricated with OC 600 wich i think is SAE 120 or 140. Although i use grease because most of my oil suspension seals leak!

Big hanky first of all Wayne:cry: You could replace all the 11B nipples that's going to cost far more than the proper connection. But it's going about it in the wrong direction really, best just to get the correct termination when one turns up. In the meantime muddle through with the hanky. I have looked for a spare termination for you it was not where I though it should be, but I'll carry on looking.

I think you would lose points for not having the original brass nipples. The money is not really wasted as you can at least get on with the hanky method. When the proper thing appears you can use the modern one for topping up diffs in Land Rovers at your other facility.

The hanky idea is clever, expedient & certainly works. Not my idea it came from the previous owner of your Pig at a time when I felt very pleased with myself having just purchased a set of those stupid modern connectors;)

Wayne this is your lucky day. I have found these. I have tested the connector on a Type 11B & that is as tight as any of the other connectors I have. The snake bendy thing is nice & stiff. The gun can inject grease or oil, but in limited quantities. There is also a spare snake you can extend it with although one joint is a bit floppy. The other gun is similar but a different make & has a different thread. Anyway special price for you, the whole lot for £10.

IMAG1144.jpg

Wayne this is your lucky day. I have found these. I have tested the connector on a Type 11B & that is as tight as any of the other connectors I have. The snake bendy thing is nice & stiff. The gun can inject grease or oil, but in limited quantities. There is also a spare snake you can extend it with although one joint is a bit floppy. The other gun is similar but a different make & has a different thread. Anyway special price for you, the whole lot for £10.

IMAG1144.jpg

No Pics, but you are a Legend.....Thank you so much ;)