oil application

rampant rivet

Question

Am restoring Austin Champ 05BE56 and need to lubricate nearly every point with SAE 90 oil instead of the normal grease it has the slide on type nipples whats the best way to apply oil to the nipples that need it :cool2: I have a slide on adaptor for my grease gun but would like to know what to use to apply the oil do I need a special peice of kit ?

Thanks RR.

This is the military guise of the Andy

Dsc01760a.jpg

806-6896 is not actually the NATO Stock No in that format it is classed as a "non-significant number" but from that one can with confidence construct the NATO Item Identification Number (NIIN) as 99-806-6896

The NATO Supply Classification (NSC) must surely be 4930 Maintenance & repair shop equipment - Lubrication & fuel dispensing equipment giving the NSN of 4930-99-806-6896

This must fall into the old VAOS range of LV6/MT1 - General miscellaneous MT stores in these later COSA times giving a Domestic Management Code of 6MT1 giving the full NSN as 6MT1/4930-99-806-6896

Would have been a lot easier if Mr Basset could have put that on the label at the outset, if he was afraid of using to up too much lettering he could have omitted "NATO STOCK NO." as just a 13-digit number on a military item needs no introduction & says it all!

Well Basset Engineering still seem to be going as a defence contractor in Hayle although they appear in none of my British Defence Exhibitors catalogues of the 1970s & 80s.

10 years ago this NSN was linked to Thor Tools, North Shields, Tyne & Wear 0191 2590655 with a part no. BK5000X but I'm not sure if they are still around.

The only other country to use this "Lubrication Unit" was New Zealand.

So assuming you still want the real thing, a few clues for you to follow up Wayne :D

Dsc01760a.jpg

806-6896 is not actually the NATO Stock No in that format it is classed as a "non-significant number" but from that one can with confidence construct the NATO Item Identification Number (NIIN) as 99-806-6896

The NATO Supply Classification (NSC) must surely be 4930 Maintenance & repair shop equipment - Lubrication & fuel dispensing equipment giving the NSN of 4930-99-806-6896

This must fall into the old VAOS range of LV6/MT1 - General miscellaneous MT stores in these later COSA times giving a Domestic Management Code of 6MT1 giving the full NSN as 6MT1/4930-99-806-6896

Would have been a lot easier if Mr Basset could have put that on the label at the outset, if he was afraid of using to up too much lettering he could have omitted "NATO STOCK NO." as just a 13-digit number on a military item needs no introduction & says it all!

Well Basset Engineering still seem to be going as a defence contractor in Hayle although they appear in none of my British Defence Exhibitors catalogues of the 1970s & 80s.

10 years ago this NSN was linked to Thor Tools, North Shields, Tyne & Wear 0191 2590655 with a part no. BK5000X but I'm not sure if they are still around.

So assuming you still want the real thing, a few clues for you to follow up Wayne :D

You are just teasing now Clive...........Not fare!..............

Dsc01760a.jpg

Tried all those details and appart from old NIIN records / catalogue of numbers found NADA!..............

If the items you have exposed and are selling to me for £10 have a Hook On that can be switched for the eBay purchase then have I got a modern version???? I note it has a foot rest and can be operated by one hand, so it's looking promising Clive.................

Wayne I was just looking at the thing you have bought, it has a fairly substantial pull-on termination. It might be worth seeing just how tight a fit it is on the 11B nipples. I bought a pull-on & a push-on from a lorry/aggri supplier but they were a different make & leaked. There may be some variation between makers.

So before you get mine as well, try the one that comes with the pump. Although that is pull-on & mine is push-on which may be easier in a tight space.

At first I didn't realise I could click on the image to get more images, so yes having a foot rest will help. Just need a big drum of OEP220 now.:D

Wayne I was just looking at the thing you have bought, it has a fairly substantial pull-on termination. It might be worth seeing just how tight a fit it is on the 11B nipples. I bought a pull-on & a push-on from a lorry/aggri supplier but they were a different make & leaked. There may be some variation between makers.

So before you get mine as well, try the one that comes with the pump. Although that is pull-on & mine is push-on which may be easier in a tight space.

At first I didn't realise I could click on the image to get more images, so yes having a foot rest will help. Just need a big drum of OEP220 now.:D

I thought the oil was different to OEP220 in Tracta joints???? Have I misread something Clive EA90 has been mentioned or is that just champs????

I agree the fitting may be tight and maybe not so please keep the items you showed for me as I know that they would be good for a top up as a toolbox item :wink: I have seen the fittings on web pages that are on you portable devises so they should be available, but note what you say on tolerances etc.............

As soon as it arrives I will get Jeremy to check it out on the Champ as he is local and then we will know.....Yay!

Wayne I know nothing about Champs, OC600 was mentioned for their joints which surprised me. The only OC600 you need worry about is the steering box, it is a compounded oil of 94% mineral oil & 6% rape seed oil.

The Tractas in Humbers should be filled with premixed lubricants in the ratio OEP 220 (1 pint) to OX 320 (1/8 pint). Subsequent topping-up to be OEP 220 only.

Wayne I know nothing about Champs, OC600 was mentioned for their joints which surprised me. The only OC600 you need worry about is the steering box, it is a compounded oil of 94% mineral oil & 6% rape seed oil.

The Tractas in Humbers should be filled with premixed lubricants in the ratio OEP 220 (1 pint) to OX 320 (1/8 pint). Subsequent topping-up to be OEP 220 only.

Oooops!..........What is the modern explanation please for OEP220 and OX320..........Namely a Halfords reference if that is possible please.........

Taa

6% rape seed oil.

??? This is starting to sound like Jamie Oliver........Are you telling me that you mix oils with Rapeseed oil in the kitchen before dispensing..............

I hope Mrs E doesn't use it for frying your 'Castrol R' Eggs????????????????????

Edited by Rover8FFR
grammar!

I think you would lose points for not having the original brass nipples. The money is not really wasted as you can at least get on with the hanky method. When the proper thing appears you can use the modern one for topping up diffs in Land Rovers at your other facility.

The hanky idea is clever, expedient & certainly works. Not my idea it came from the previous owner of your Pig at a time when I felt very pleased with myself having just purchased a set of those stupid modern connectors;)

Just a thought Clive......The original Brass Nipples still appear to be available......If they were identical and of same tolerance for Hook On I would imagine that no points would be lost?????

hook-on Brass.jpg

Just a thought Clive......The original Brass Nipples still appear to be available......If they were identical and of same tolerance for Hook On I would imagine that no points would be lost?????

The original ones are still around but there are at least 2 different heights. Some on the steering linkages are so close to other structures that blanking plugs are used instead. Best to use the proper military termination on the lubricator, than change all the original 11B nipples to conform to a modern termination that can't properly mate with them.

I am yet to experience as I dare say RR is on his Champ, but if the BB's in the nipples are seized I suppose the right thing to do is replace if unserviceable with a genuine 11B nipple?

Alternatively a good old soak in diesel / parafin may free them up. As with modern / smaller grease nipples it tends to be the little springs that fail if they corrode internally............

I can see a lesson just on lubrication Nipples on the horizon.................

Jeremy have you noticed a difference in 11B heights or stand off on you Champs like Clive suggests on the PIG......

Food for thought in case a tight space tolerance sheers the head off an 11B that is too tall and then you lose fluids........

Please note the PC description avoiding Nipple heights.................................:-X:-X:shocked::shocked::shocked::mad::mad::mad::-D

I am yet to experience as I dare say RR is on his Champ, but if the BB's in the nipples are seized I suppose the right thing to do is replace if unserviceable with a genuine 11B nipple?

Alternatively a good old soak in diesel / parafin may free them up. As with modern / smaller grease nipples it tends to be the little springs that fail if they corrode internally............

A good tool for a blocked nipple http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-engine-and-mechanical-tools/grease-forcer.html

Checked nipple height this morning all is satisfactory will check champ out later today :D

Jeremy have you noticed a difference in 11B heights or stand off on you Champs like Clive suggests on the PIG......

Food for thought in case a tight space tolerance sheers the head off an 11B that is too tall and then you lose fluids........

Please note the PC description avoiding Nipple heights.................................:-X:-X:shocked::shocked::shocked::mad::mad::mad::-D