Cloth braided wire.. technical questions

Can someone direct me to some information regarding the terms and construction of the braided cloth electrical wire used in WWII MVs?

Like how do you determine the frequency of the tracer?

How do you configure for crossed and double tracers?

How do you determine the number of spools you need to replicate a certain 'weave' (is that the correct term?)

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this is any help but there is a company here down south in Australia who are suppliers of cable and

looms for a range of vehicles including Military. I am currently using their correctly marked cotton covered cable of various gages for the restoration of a No. 6 Artillery Tractor which is based on a C60S, CMP pattern 3 tonner. Email address of one of the principles is "contact@vinwire.com.au" and they may have the info you are looking for.

Regards.....Rod

I've been recommended these people by Jim Clark of Sherman and M4 HST fame:

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/

They look to have a very comprehensive range.

Richard

I've dealt with Auto sparks for many years they provide a one stop shop for all vintage wiring needs including looming and complete harness manufacture for a number of WW11 MVs

Pete

I have the same dilema with the woven mesh outer sheath on my Landrover lightweight loom that runs inside and outside the chassis.

I have decided that fabric tape.......Not GAFFA or Carpet, but the genuine cloth one would be most appropriate and weather the best under all circumstances. Not original, but would look authentic.

Wayne Vinwire in Melbourne also has some other products you may find helpful.

The Wire protection tubing in the attachment is one I have used and it is very similar to

what I have seen on Aust. Military Rovers from memory. They also supply a small range of armoured wire

which we are going to use in the crew cab of the arty tractor which is the same as the original type.

Rod

I have the same dilema with the woven mesh outer sheath on my Landrover lightweight loom that runs inside and outside the chassis.

I have decided that fabric tape.......Not GAFFA or Carpet, but the genuine cloth one would be most appropriate and weather the best under all circumstances. Not original, but would look authentic.

WireProtection.jpg

Edited by BSM

These people look interesting not come across them before, have you used them at all N.O.S ?

Pete

Yes I have, Pete. Very good value and prompt delivery. They have their own weaving machine so can also do specials.

Only slight downside I've found is with multi-core wire. There is a maximum diameter which they can braid, which means that some bigger multi-core wire has to be the modern thin wall insulation type - which I do not like.

Yes I have, Pete. Very good value and prompt delivery. They have their own weaving machine so can also do specials.

Only slight downside I've found is with multi-core wire. There is a maximum diameter which they can braid, which means that some bigger multi-core wire has to be the modern thin wall insulation type - which I do not like.

Thanks for that, I may give them a try Iv'e a couple of harnesses to make up this year. Auto sparks although good quality are not getting any cheaper on their consumables or any faster on turn round.

Pete

If I am going to be 100% authentic with my wiring I will have to do the wiring myself. The individual cores were lacquered crepe paper and then covered by braided cloth. Do you know if they can supply just the outer braiding sheath in a dark colour?

I think they may be able to, QK - I seem to remember asking them about sheathing. They have to weave it onto something like nylon tubing and then pull the tubing put. Problem was I was after larger diameter than they could weave.

Suggest you email them and ask. Black is no problem :)