BEVEL BOXES - Any experts out there ?

Fugly

Just a simple question. On the saladin ( and I presume the Saracen) although the front and rear bevel boxes carry different numbers , and are marked as left and right , front and rear and so on, they are all basically the same , with the exception that the rear box has a plate , instead of the bracket bolted to the front one.

We jacked up the wheels (prop splines disconnected) and noted the direction of rotation. The right hand shafts rotate in the opposite direction to the left hand. This would allow a R/H bevel box to be used on the left hand side.

Upon studying the boxes on my saladin the fronts are both marked up as "Front Rights", so the front L/H has been replaced at some time with a right hand marked unit.

The different units have different part numbers , but I reckon there is not much difference betwen the front and the rears.

The casting is the same , and the tapped mounting holes in it allow it to be inverted.

So are there any differences inside I should know about ?

Please can someone share the knowledge as I plan to use four front rights on each corner of the Saladin.:undecided:

I guess its kinda the same, but from what I remember on the Ferret, the front right and left rear are the same unit, and front left, rear right....cannot say I remember why that is, apart from the location of the relief valve?

Mick

Edited by MiketheBike

I can remember looking at crates of bevel boxes for Saladins and Saracens thinking that I could fit them to either vehicle just by swapping over the backplates and a few other small components. trouble is that was over 15 years ago and I cannot be too sure, you know what happens to your memory over time. I am still confident that the different part no's are because each station has been built up to fit a particular location, as you say with brackets etc. so should be easy to convert to fit a different corner.

good luck

You can put a front right on the rear left and vise versa. However, both front bevel boxes on Saladin have a differant cover plate that supports the hand brake.

The center bevel boxes can be on eather side.

If you've got a bevel box in bits, thats a good time to put a filler plug and dip stick into it.

I've done this on both the saladin front bevel boxes.

Andy

I can remember looking at crates of bevel boxes for Saladins and Saracens thinking that I could fit them to either vehicle just by swapping over the backplates and a few other small components. trouble is that was over 15 years ago and I cannot be too sure, you know what happens to your memory over time. I am still confident that the different part no's are because each station has been built up to fit a particular location, as you say with brackets etc. so should be easy to convert to fit a different corner.

good luck

If it can be done then I am a happy chappy - I can't see Alvis designing a totally different box for each corner? -

Anyway I will await any advice others can give.

Cheers

a good time to put a filler plug and dip stick into it.

I've done this on both the saladin front bevel boxes.

Andy

Andy,

Is that a mod done on later vehicles or your own work? Fabricating dipsticks by adding rods to plugs or ?

Thanks,

Bob

Andy,

Is that a mod done on later vehicles or your own work? Fabricating dipsticks by adding rods to plugs or ?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob, my Saracen does have dipsticks as was installed by the factory, ie. not homemade. I still have a bevelbox on which I need to change the leaking oil seal, I will take some pics and dimensions for you guys. Here is a pic from my sarry build-up thread.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26840&d=1273517373&thumb=1

Hi Monty,

Thanks for the photo.

While I am here.....I assume that is a pair of Facet fuel pumps, but it looks as though they are plumbed in series. Is this just for redundancy in case one fails? Or is one actually a pressure regulator? It looked as though they are both wired.

Thanks,

Regards,

Bob

Hi Monty,

Thanks for the photo.

While I am here.....I assume that is a pair of Facet fuel pumps, but it looks as though they are plumbed in series. Is this just for redundancy in case one fails? Or is one actually a pressure regulator? It looked as though they are both wired.

Thanks,

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob, my sarry is 24V, hence the pumps are connected in series as well as wired in series. I have a pressure regulator but it must still be installed together with a fuel pressure indicator.