Mk1 fragmentation vest.

martin parke

Funnily enough, I came into possession of a Mk.7 vest today, an extra large!

Never seen one before - especially as it appears to be unissued - no chest/back plates sadly. Appearing on a well known auction site soon I would imagine as I no longer collect post-war kit. God knows what the postage will be on it!

Thought you'd like a picture as you seem to be interested in this sort of thing.

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Edited by lightweight

flakjacketuw5.jpg

can anyone tell if this was the type used in northern ireland and what was stored in the pocket on the shoulder

When it all kicked off in NI, the Armed Forces had left all the war-torn regions east of Suez and were set for a quiet time, unprepared for a civil war on UK territory. Body armour was needed in a hurry. It was provided largely by the USA (then engaged in their own war in Vietnam). There are stories (I believe A Long Long War carries a first-hand account) of the first troops in being issued "flak jackets" that still carried the blood stains from their previous owners. As troops flooded into NI, flak jackets surely turned up in job lots.

By the time I got there in 1976 there were still nearly as many types of flak jacket as there were soldiers to wear them. This looks not unlike the one I was issued, but judging from your picture I'd say mine had a firmer, more prominent neck. I do remember the rubber butt traps to stop the personal weapon sliding off the shoulder but I don't remember it having a field dressing pocket (as previously identified).

There were almost certainly jackets of this type worn in NI and unless there is something obvious on there that you haven't told us about (like its manufacture date is 2011) I challenge anybody to prove that flak jackets of this pattern were not worn on Op Banner.