Rear Light options Bedford MWD

44GPW

Question

Guys,

About to re-wire my MWD and want to change the rear lights which are currently square, all in one clusters that look awfull!

I know the originals were small Rubberlite units, but they would not be safe enough to use nowadays in my opinion, so, what have others used at the back of WW2 British trucks?

Ideally, i would like round (approx 50mm dia) single units for Brake, side and indicators.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

12 answers to this question

Guys,

About to re-wire my MWD and want to change the rear lights which are currently square, all in one clusters that look awfull!

I know the originals were small Rubberlite units, but they would not be safe enough to use nowadays in my opinion, so, what have others used at the back of WW2 British trucks?

Ideally, i would like round (approx 50mm dia) single units for Brake, side and indicators.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

My MW had similar lights to Series 1 and 2 Land Rovers.

Looked quite good, in keeping but still big enough for EuroBox drivers to see them

There were some nice contemporary Lucas stop and tail lights that I used, about 3" diameter, they'd be fine.

You would really have to find used ones though. When I broke a lens I bought a modern repro and it was way too expensive.

My MW had similar lights to Series 1 and 2 Land Rovers.

Looked quite good, in keeping but still big enough for EuroBox drivers to see them

Yep, been considering them, about the right size that i want too.

Thats probably the route i will go, maybe fitting two Rubbolites on the toolbox rail in addition, so i still have the original lighting set up as well (providing i turn up a pair).

Thanks

Richard

I am unfamiliar with your vehicle but have some suggestions.

It appears you are struggling between orginality and practicality.

If the vehicle has a trailer light socket then make up a light board that plugs into the trailer socket and use the biggest brightest lights you can find for safeties sake.

If there is no socket then make a breakout in the loom near the rear and tuck a socket out of sight for use with a light board.

This is what some jeep owners are doing over here to satisfy the two needs

R

I am planning to use something similar to those pictured, only a little smaller. They are an old pair that have been kicking about the garage. I will try and get a pic but my brother has them for refurbishment at the mo. Trailer boards are not a bad idea but it is something else to remember when you leave a show, plus its kicking about whilst you are there, but of course if you are going for 100% authenticity at the show then I guess this is the only way.

Pics of the lights I am proposing to use on my MW. No idea what they are off but originaly had 2 festoon bulbs. My brother is converting to enable them to be stop/tail/indicator. They look (to me anyway) similar style to the Lucas 'pork pie' type but are a little smaller I think, so look in period and hopefully no too intrusive.mwlights2.jpg

mwlights.jpg

Nothing wrong wit that. Looks the part, and keeps you safe. One of our buses was hit up the rear at traffic lights today. It's only nine feet high and eight feet wide lit up with two extra bright LED clusters. I mean what is there not to see?

Sorry to hear that Tony.

Yes, with last years tragedy in mind I decided to go as small as I could without any compromise on safety!

As an added original feature I have now secured the correct tiny stop and tail lamps so will fit and connect them as a additional feature.

The good thing about someone hitting a bus. I'm not paying the bills. :-D Though I have taken to hanging a trailer board over the back of the Dodge on the road. Most people just don't look down for a vehicles lights now. I now all the war dance about lighting regulations, but better tried by twelve than carried by six!

I'm going to us the Morris Traveller rear lights and paint the chrome bezel .I have detachable amber strobe lights on a bar which I'll hang over the tail board when on the road . I use the same method on the Jeep .

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=810_840&products_id=713&osCsid=bac99a12f1aaf7078a2371f659a71615

LMP110.jpg