Painting wheels (using 'dog collar')

FourFox

I have been trying for some years to perfect an easier way of painting wheels.

Here is my latest invention which has made life a lot easier!

First of all a light sand-blasting and wire brushing to remove all the paint and prepare the surface.

8002.jpg

Make a 45 degree cone out of some thin, but stiff material so that it just fits the rim. ( I used an oak laminate veneer 'cos i've got loads of it).

8003.jpg

Spray on the undercoat (I use a bit of top coat mixed in to get a similar colour to the finish required).

8004.jpg.

And then a single top coat.

8009.jpg

You can move the 'dog collar whilst the paint is still wet (with some care). In this way you can do all 8 sides in undercoat.

The next day I did all the top coats in less than an hour....great! And not a speck of paint on the tyre.

8012.jpg

Certainly beats hours of masking.

Jon

I've always cut the long edge of a piece of 12" x 8" card to fit a section of the rim for 20" rims and bigger. Works ok but a bit fiddly to keep tight in, and you have to keep moving the card as the gun goes round the edge - now for me that is a bit too much like like multi-tasking (and you can't have a paint brush in the spare hand to deal with runs :blush: :D)

I'll definitely be trying your idea next time! :)

Hi Robin

These are the wheels off the protoype Fox. You have seen the tracta joint and bevel-box rebuild...and a large amount of stuff on the engine.

This week should see the re-installation of the engine as I have already sorted most of the inside problems. The turret traverse now works as it should, so does the elevation gear..although I will source some new bearings for this box if I have time before Beltring!

All the brakes have new pads, and the handbrakes have all been rebuilt with new parts. I have done some work on the electrics whist the engine is out. (it's much easier to enter the insides through the engine bay). I have trial fitted the RBJ and powered it up to run the turret electrics for the first time.

It has been a bit cold here to do any serious spraying but the weather should change for the better in a few weeks.

Progress also seems slow due to the fact that the restoration of my last Fox has also started (in a small way). They are sitting alongside each other and I'm taking the opportunity of duplicating many of the fiddly bits (like the wiring harnesses for the engine) before it will be much harder to get at them. The stash of parts from my stores has been recently raided to provide all the bits I need for both jobs.

I will post a new thread on the prototype progress on the week..ok?

Jon