SLR Rack Numbers

Rasputin

I finished the upgrades to my SLR, and was thinking of adding a rack number. Was there a standard method of applying these? example pictures would really be a big help. Thanks!

No standard method. the USUAL (& neat) method was by stencil. 1" High x 1/8th wide.

Or Hand painted, the same size. (NOT as neat!)..........:shocked:

Armoury Butt Numbers, were NEVER an Official thing. They were done by Arms storemen to make life easier on a quick Weapons Check.

Remember: Firearms are a VERY Accountable thing! Can you imagine a serial number check on a COMPLETE Rifle compains Smallarms Holdings? What a Nighmare! It would take Hours, to that end Serial number checks were done periodicaly.

Today though, Serial Number checks are done once a week. This is because there HAVE been incidences. Of some 'Enterprising' Person. Signing out an SA80 Rifle over a weekend Training excercise. & Replacing it with a Replica Airsoft Weapon!

They are VERY realisitic to look at! Even the N.A.T.O Stock number is moulded on the Handguards!

Now, when a serial/But number check is done. EVERY SA80 Rifle & LSW L85A2 is actually LIFTED up a couple of inches from it's position in the storage wallrack. This is done with supervison of a SNCO (Usually a Sergeant)

The weight of a replica is slightly less than the real thing!

Could you imagine what sort of scenario might unfold if a weapon was removed from an Armoury for some sort of use in a week. & then replaced again back in the Armoury & the Replica removed?...........It REALLY does NOT want to Happen - DOES IT!........:shocked:

Thanks. Right side of the stock for the numbers?

Location of the butt number was determined so that the arms storeman could see it quickly, so it depended on the angle he approached the rack from in the building he was in. It might frankly be anywhere. Almost always on the butt (hence "butt number") - okay for the pedants, on the stock - but as we have seen in this thread, not always.

From memory, which as one advances plays tricks, that some unit armouries had a numbered brass disk attached to each firearm somehow. Seem to remember the jangling that went one until one signed for the said bang stick and then it was removed until return.

Alien do you remember anything like that?

R

No mate. But I now remember some unit or other issued a squaddy with a card which he signed and was then laminated, so that on Active Edge he simply swapped the card for the weapon, the Arms Store had his signature and it was dead easy to sign out and to carry out a weapons check: either the weapon was there or the card was.

Thanks again for the insight guys! As soon as the weather gets a little better, I'll post a few pics of the SLR with the modifications I made.

Hythe sight

Correct (for me) XL butt pad

Rack numbers

I'm still looking for the later model Hythe foresight though. I have one of the early models, and understand why the MOD changed them...:-D

Alien,

I think what you and I are both saying is that while butt numbers were common there were over the yers many different ways that storemen kept weapons in unit armouries. The big aim was accounatbility 100% and ease and speed of issuance and return of weapons.

I guess to be blunt, they all tried to re design the mouse trap in a fashion.

R

Edited by robin craig
change of wordage

Alien,

I think what you and I are both saying is that while butt numbers were common there were over the yers many different ways that armourers kept weapons in unit armouries. The big aim was accounatbility 100% and ease and speed of issuance and return of weapons.

I guess to be blunt, they all tried to re design the mouse trap in a fashion.

R

Pedantic correction Robin! They were kept in unit Armouries by ARMS STOREMEN!

ARMOURER'S Fix them, STOREMEN store/keep them in Armouries!......

Sorry, but something i feel passionate about! You need to be qualified to be an Armourer. (hard won!)

but you dont need any qualification to be an Arms Storeman............... :-D

(That being said, I used to keep my own Personaly Held Pistol in unit Armouries all over the world!) ;)

Mike.

Pedantic correction Robin! They were kept in unit Armouries by ARMS STOREMEN!

ARMOURER'S Fix them, STOREMEN store/keep them in Armouries!......

Sorry, but something i feel passionate about! You need to be qualified to be an Armourer. (hard won!)

but you dont need any qualification to be an Arms Storeman............... :-D

(That being said, I used to keep my own Personaly Held Pistol in unit Armouries all over the world!) ;)

Mike.

Does that go with the 'Stores are for storing, not issuing'. :-D

Does that go with the 'Stores are for storing, not issuing'. :-D

Tony, I would swear by the Power of greyskull. ALL storemen do a course on how to say a thousand different methods.

On the fact that they cannot issue, or do not have a ceratin item of equipment you need.

When you can see the Damm thing sitting on the shelf behind his counter!.....:mad:

Honestly, It's enough to make you want to eat your Young!...........:undecided:

• 3 months later...