Fox restoration, MVEE Chertsey Insignia

FourFox

My restoration of the prototype Fox is now proceeding and painting is due to start as soon as the weather improves.

All 4 bevel boxes and 8 tracta joints have been reconditioned with (mostly) new parts from my stores as they were in a poor condition due to lack of lubrication.

6002.jpg

Whilst I was at it, I have renewed all the rubber dust-boots (they were all rotted away), handbrake bands, disc pads, track rods and most oil seals.

Quite a few parts are different to production Fox parts (I am assuming they are related to Mk4 Ferret bits), but I have managed to source all the correct components. I am now getting quite good at taking apart stuck tracta assemblies and assembling the new 'Chinese Puzzle' of the tracta joints, swivels and bevel boxes.

For some reason the 4 propshafts appear to be NOS, but without their grease nipples! I have now serviced them and put in nice new greasers.

I have has the lids off the gearboxes (they appear to also be Mk4 ferret) and adjusted the bands (plenty of meat still).

There are still a few oil drips to sort out before the engine is installed.

I hope to add more restoration pics. during the next few weeks.

Meanwhile I notice from one of the archive pictures of my prototype at MVEE there is an insignia on the rear turret box.

Has anyone out there got a colour picture of the MVEE insignia that I may copy, to make up some stickers for the front and rear of this Fox (and also my prototype Scorpion)?

6001.jpg

Incidently, does anyone know what the turret box was for? It appears to be the right size for a couple of standard Nato batteries (for the radio) but there are no suitable holes in the turret for the battery leads.

I have a picture of one of the prototypes with ZB298 battlefield radar mounted on the turret, so it could be related to this!

None of the other prototypes appear to have this rear box type mounting.

Jon

Edited by FourFox

Sadly I can't help on the Fox insignia info, but it is nice to see you are 'cracking-on' with your projects, you are so lucky to have such a nice, roomy, cosy workshop to work in! .... I've got my fluid flywheel I collected from you now fitted on my Saracen's engine, sadly due to the recent loss of my dad (-my main inspiration, and spannering assistant), and a slight knee problem, I've not been able to re-fit the engine etc. as I have to work outside, it's a little too chilly just now...

Kind regards

Matt

Edited by Marmite!!
typo

It could be that this box is for temperature recording apparatus!

There are over 20 temperature probes around the engine, cooling and oil system of this Fox, even some on the alternator control box! There is also the remains of quite a lot of surplus wiring (which was presumably used to couple to the temperature probes).

I have used a similar method whilst testing my new designs for electrical power generator canopies. The recorder box nowadays (called Squirrel) is only about half the size of a shoe box, and is powered by a small 9v battery!

We have to run the set at rated load until all the temperatures stabalise (for at least 1 hour). If the (mainly oil and coolant) temperatures are within the prescribed range for the engine and alternator we can then calculate the allowable maximum ambient temperature for running the generator....simple really!

There are also several pressure gauges on the inside of the hull..now sadly disconnected.

Anybody out there have information about this testing of the Fox prototype?

Jon

Anybody out there have information about this testing of the Fox prototype?

Jon

What a coincidence, in the 1970's whilst working for Volvo driving the C303 in competition with the prototype Landrover101 at the various MVEE test tracks, I took this pic of Fox prototype on test, although the reg.number is blurred it appears to be OOSP87 your Fox! same is in the above MVEE pic taken at the Longcross site, but with different turret, my pic was taken quickly, no photography was allowed then at the Long valley test site near Aldershot, the prototype Scorpions were also running then, alas no pics, it was fun chasing them round the off road course in the Volvo, untill a track would come off the Scorpion, a common problem then.

Image.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

That action shot makes the vehicle look very arse end heavy or perhaps it is under massive acceleration forces . . .

That turret affair looks very familiar but can't quite place it, somehow the 432 missile variant is where I think I have seen that before.

R

Its travelling at speed over a very undulating rough track, its rear suspension is on full deflection when I took the pic

Edited by Nick Johns

Thanks Nick for the photo. It's great to see pics of ones vehicle 'in service', even if it is only during testing and development...an essential part of the manufacturing, as there would be no further Foxes without the successful completion of this stage!

It sure looks like my prototype Fox. It still has the old Ferret/Saladin type headlamps fitted. This is the only prototype that I have records of being fitted with this type of headlight. It has been later fitted with an additional pair of 5 inch Butler units, presumably to improve the night vision at speed...in the woods!

I notice that there are substantial ballast weights fitted both to the hull and turret sides....the holes are still in the hull sides. Later pictures show much thinner weights fitted to the hull sides and glacis plate. By now the correct shaped turret has appeared. (This may account for Robin's 'rear down' observation)

Incidently, the turret of the prototype has a much different construction to the later production ones.

The 15 prototypes (I think) were the last armoured vehicles to be made by Daimler...who ceased making 'armoured cars' after losing the Fox contract to ROF Leeds. I have heard that Alvis continued to make the turrets (all of them?).

From my observations whilst driving other Foxes, the suspension hardly moves at all when on the road, the ballon tyres taking up the minor road shocks. The first round-about is a bit of an 'experience'. The independant, double wishbone, coil spring suspension is very effective over the (old) jumps at Beltring.

That reminds me..I must check the gearing of the prototype. Mechanically, it appears to be the same as a Mk4 Ferret. The early E-type engine it was fitted with is capable of at least 5,500 rpm and well over 200 hp! No wonder all who have driven it says it is very quick!

I have re-built a propper Prototype Fox engine which will be perfect for this restoration. It is quite different to later 4.2 Jaguars and appears to be a 1968 military modification of an E-Type engine with the famillar military Solex carburettor.

The head, block, sump, con-rods, camshafts, exhaust valves...even the camshaft covers and breather are all different to the later engines. To make life even more complicated, the bell-housing, front tomb-stone and the entire fan unit is also different.

The Fox at present has no power steering fitted. It appears to have a Ferret, all mechanical, system. There are the remains of an earlier power steering installation...again quite different to later Foxes. I will try it out with what it now has, but have all the bits for a later power-steering conversion later on.

Keep you posted on progress.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robin

The ARN (I presume you mean the Army Registration Number) is only faintly visible on the prototype Fox as it had been given a generous coating of NATO green by a previous owner. I have had some discussions with this chap and have verified that it is indeed 00SP87. There are quite a few pictures of this Fox on test at Chertsea, and later in the reserve collection at Bovington. There are several unique features of this Fox which make little doubt obout it's identity. Like all prototypes it was not supplied with an 'identity plaque'. The Fox has had at least 3 private owners since being disposed of. I managed to retrieve quite a few important components from the previous 'restorers' scrap pile and many useful NOS parts from Bannisters. It is amazing just how many prototype bits there are in existance for just 15 vehicles made! I even have a complete spare fan pack!

The original silencer I retrieved from the scrap pile is in very poor condition and a new one will have to be fabricated using the old one as a pattern.

In the next few weeks I shall be stripping all the paint from the ouside in preparation for returning it to it's former deep bronze green glory. I shall probably find the original painted registration number under the NATO green as it is clear that no extensive preparation was carried out before it's previous painting.

In contrast to most other 'in service' vehicles, the Fox is bodily in very good condition and has not had the 'annual' slap on another coat ethos usually encountered in the army. It has however done quite a few miles (for a Fox)...about 31,000 from memory, hence the poor condition of the 'not very well lubricated' drive train. For comparison the other early production Fox I own has an indicated 1,100 miles, which is almost certainly genuine!

Jon

I worked at FVRDE Chobham in 1968/69. The Fox was being trialled by A2 section, wheeled armour, as opposed to A1 which was tracked armour where I was. The guy who was the Fox driver always turned up for work well dressed and with a briefcase, unlike the rest of us who were less well turned out. Not a lot to do with all this, but of interest I thought!!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes please.

I still do not have enough of an image to reproduce an insignia.

Jon

Jon

If you send me your email address I will send it to you direct, being a newbie I am stiil not sure how to use this system with confidence yet. My email address should be in my profile.

Brucie

Thanks Brucie

I have now downloaded the isignia and cleaned up the image using 'Photoshop'

MVEE.jpg

I am just waiting for delivery of waterslide tranfer sheets so that I can make 2 pairs of decals for my prototypew Fox and Scorpion.

Jon