Pendine Military Testing Establishment

woa2

I was talking to a man from Kent recently about Military Vehicles and he told me about his Grandfather who was at Pendine Military Establishment near Camarthem, South Wales from Feb 1940 to October 1945. The man's Grandfather, Jack Burton, was a driver and I was given a copy of a photo of him in a Humber Utility car. Question is, does anyone know anything about Pendine Military Testing Establishment in WW2 and what did they do there? I believe it was for Artillery testing, but I need more information. Anyone help, please?

Many thanks.

I was talking to a man from Kent recently about Military Vehicles and he told me about his Grandfather who was at Pendine Military Establishment near Camarthem, South Wales from Feb 1940 to October 1945. The man's Grandfather, Jack Burton, was a driver and I was given a copy of a photo of him in a Humber Utility car. Question is, does anyone know anything about Pendine Military Testing Establishment in WW2 and what did they do there? I believe it was for Artillery testing, but I need more information. Anyone help, please?

Many thanks.

I holiday in South and West Wales every year. For a couple of years we stayed in Laugharne, just along the coast. Whenever we drove through Pendine, it is quite obviously ex-Army (I think one of the buildings might even be marked NAAFI but it's been a handful of years now.)

Artillery is plausible.

By the sea at Laugharne of a summer's afternoon, it was usual to hear aircraft, then hear the calico tearing-sound of some sort of chain gun dumping its rounds into the sea.