ferret winterizing

01ec28

Question

Can anyone point me towards publication emer wheeled vehicles A019 miscellaneous instruction no 9 or enlighten me as to what it says please? I'm curious about longer term winter storage on a ferret. Is it no more than putting oil in cylinders, hand ranking engine, tires etc? Service manual mentions it in the out of use servicing section. Anything out of use over four months it says needs to follow this. (our winter is right on the edge of this and driving around town in salt isn't my first choice.) Any help or advice would be appreciated. I started it monthly this year in the driveway but suspect not running it at all may be better?

Cheers, Drew

6 answers to this question

i would suggest running it for half an hour after ten mins running ,drive back and forth least u r getting wheels gearbox turning , i try to do this every couple of weeks.if really cold turn it over by hand first, and if u want a workout start it by hand have l/h engine deck open so u can get to throttle .!

Edited by griff66

Not really where I was coming from. At -20c it's hard to warm up without driving under load on salted snowy roads. What I'm more interested in is the military preservation standards? For instance, did they oil the cylinders with anything special such as a fogging spray? Hand turn once a month or oil at any particular frequency? I'm interested in what's best if the vehicle is not to be started at all for around 5 months.

Cheers, Drew

Not really where I was coming from. At -20c it's hard to warm up without driving under load on salted snowy roads. What I'm more interested in is the military preservation standards? For instance, did they oil the cylinders with anything special such as a fogging spray? Hand turn once a month or oil at any particular frequency? I'm interested in what's best if the vehicle is not to be started at all for around 5 months.

Cheers, Drew

When we preserved new engines in army workshops, after they had been test run, they had a lanolin based oil sprayed in the plug holes, intake and exhaust, then intake and exhaust sealed up and tape across crank pulley, to indicate engine not to be turned.

Can anyone point me towards publication emer wheeled vehicles A019 miscellaneous instruction no 9 or enlighten me as to what it says please?

Drew here you are. This is short term preservation, if you want long term it is covered in EMER WORKSHOPS:

N111 Chapters 0-9 which covers engines, vehicle & electrical assemblies etc.

N112 Vehicle assemblies

N113 Vehicle final drives

N114 Repairable engines returned from the field

N119 Was issued to redesignate:

EMER VEHICLES GENERAL A112 to EMER WORKSHOPS N112

EMER VEHICLES GENERAL A113 to EMER WORKSHOPS N113

App2968.jpg

App2969.jpg

App2970.jpg

Thanks very much for the information. I appreciate it everyone. I'm thinking because my storage duration is what would seem to be on the cusp of long vs short term, a marine lubricating fogging spray (may or may not be lanolin based now)ought to be the best option. I've always run a small amount of 2 stroke oil or top end lubricant without plug fouling occuring in my older vehicles to lube the top end for startup. First in our 52 series 1 landrover and now in the others. Had the head off the 80" to decarbonize and it seemed fine. Just don't want to bugger the main bearings on the ferret with dry starts and cause damage from excessive thermal cycling without getting to operating temp. Last question, do the ferret main bearings sit in some oil because of the dry sump setup? Thanks again for your patience and time.

Cheers, Drew

from reading clives emers still best option is to turn engine over by hand first then run for 20 mins at 800rpm this will get it up to operating temp ,grease all suspension keep fuel tank tank topped up u could lift wheels to prevent flat spots but normally first run will get tires round again after a mile or so