What Vehicle is this, German?

MHillyard

Hi, I believe they're actually French White armoured cars, as shown here: http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=685&Itemid=36 (towards the bottom of the page - look for 1918 Automitrailleuse White).

If my very poor knowledge of French is up to the task, I think it says that they served in mainland France until 1933, and 'overseas' (presumably in North Africa, given the photo) until 1941.

Kevin

• 2 years later...

The term the German's used was "Beute" (Prey) vehicles, as the German's didn't have many vehicles themselves, they would utilize captured vehicles and re-purpose them for Wehrmacht use. Ever wondered what happened to the vehicles that were left on the beaches of Dunkirk? The Germans had workshops for adding Notek convey lights and re-painting them Dunkelgrau post Dunkirk, nothing was left. Try to Google "Beute Panzer" or "Beute Panzerspahwagen" for generic photos, but there's great photos of Shermans, Greyhounds, Universal Carriers, all painted with a Balkenkreuz's on the side...