Porpoise finishing and painting

Hello all you REAL engineers and refinishers. I'm just a dabbler..........

Some of you may have seen the thread about our ongoing restoration of a WWII Porpoise over in Normandy.

The metalwork is now pretty much finished and it's time to get someone to refinish and repaint the sledge.

All of the fastenings for the covers have been replaced - some being rebuilt using matric threads, others using 3/8 bsf nuts and washers.

The company that we've approached about the refinishing say that we must replace all these fasteners with stainless ones. When i asked the chap for clarification we, he could not explain further than "c'est necessaire" (it is necessary).

Why would this be needed, as the originals certainly WERE NOT stainless?

I believe the plan is some sort of galvanised coated then several coats of paint, as the sledge will be displayed outside when completed.

Any ideas? 3/8 BSF nuts in stainless are made from unobtainium, I'm told, and would have to be fabricated.

Post more pictures Geoff! Galvanising would lead to later problems painting, you'd need a special primer. Do you want super flash better than new don't breath on the paintwork? Or more like the Dodge and QL?:cool2: Just a good solid self galvanising primer coat and we can match the top colour later. Nuts and bolts can still be got over here. Though to be honest if you used ordinary metric, who'd know? I can't see why you'd need stainless if your galvanising the contraption, I'm sure the two have some sort of nasty reaction. Try someone like Dulux or Internationalthey have good advice services, who knows you may get them to throw in the paint for sponsorship, it's for the Ver Sur Mer musuem after all.

Thanks Tony.

Apparently the firm that are doing the refinishing (not one I would have chosen!) can't guarantee that rust won't appear on the fasteners - I spoke to the chap myself tonight after questioning his sanity remotely this afternoon. hence the need for stainless fasteners.

That's their intention apparently - galvanising primer then paint - just as we did with the QLR!

Our engineering suppliers up here tell me that stainless BSF nuts are no longer available.

J-P has found an engineering shop near Bayeux that will make him some BSF ones, and source some metric ones.

there are lots of pictures here -

http://goldbeachmusee.org.uk/FRPorpoise-1.htm

or here if you prefer the English version - ;)

http://goldbeachmusee.org.uk/Porpoise-1.htm

Lovely to hear from you mate.