Rb44 wheel cylinder part numbers please

bedford trucker

HELLO

a friend of mine is after the part numbers for front and rear wheel cylinders as one is leaking and wants to replace them all, and any possible info on suppliers would be great

thanks, paul

Fronts 26174500

Nato Stock Number: 253099 0284581

Rears here http://eshop.lmslichfieldltd.com/epages/BT4011.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4011/Products/lms0116

If you can't find the fronts consider having the cylinders rebuilt / re-sleeved

IIRC, RB44 and RB75 front axles share the same brake cylinders (although variations may exist depending on year of production)

got some NOS to suit my Mk2 (front) axle from a helpful guy a couple of years back and have noticed he's continued to list them (£15each) on ebay recently

you should be able to reach him at cliff.fletcher@yahoo.co.uk

unfortuneately I only discovered them after Past Parts had de-seized and stainless re-lined my old ones (£50+VAT each) so hopefully you'll have better luck!

i'll have a rummage tomorrow and pop the cast number and a photo up

:-) that's what I tell myself to help ease the pain of a £250 repair against £60 of NOS parts - the rubbers might last a bit longer :-)

OK. NOS New OLD stock? Bit of a contridication , especially on kit like brakes. To Quote (Again!) My old Mentor Howard, 'A bugger if they don't go. A DISASTER if they don't stop'. ;)

can't argue with that

the cylinders I got had been wrapped in their waxed paper so not exposed to sunlight, moisture etc. - i'm assuming they are new old stock unless year of manufacture can be determined - the green plastic plugs in the unit below are embossed with 7/16UNF 33080, one is marked J(E)20 and the other J(E)28, the body cast with 3223-307C, the black rubber dust cap is embossed with Lockheed 3812-428 J(E)16

DSC05985.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I recently bought an RB 44 FFR - my plan is to register it for road use. The vehicle btys were buggered and I have ordered some new ones.

I suspect the military did not cure the braking issues with all of the RB44's(mine being one), as mine pulls to the left if under heavy braking. Does anyone know what I can do? Can anyone explain the fix to me? Bearing in mind I'm not very mechanically minded......

The good news is however its only done a few mikes and is in very good condition!!

Regards,

Alan

A great many RB44's haven't been used for a number of years, my own RB44 had sheets of paper in the visor dating back to 2008. At the last tender sale one of the vehicles had a docket dating from 2002 when it was shipped back from Cyprus.

I would suggest that you have someone look at the brakes before driving it again, it certainly won't pass its first MOT at VOSA.

Every now and then my RB snatches to the left but Reynolds Boughton were supposed to have cured these problems. Changing the braking system would be notifiable change I think with VOSA.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Just been sorting out brakes on a radio pod RB44 for someone locally.

When you take it for test either load it up or, if that's not practical, tie up the load proportioning valve when you get there. This is allowed for test but you must release it before going back on the road. We had 97% imbalance on a rolling road with the valve engaged and about 10% with it tied up. Also the self-adjusting rears didn't - they had to be adjusted manually. Both front and rear seem very sensitive to adjustment.

Give me WW2 truck brakes any day :cheesy:

For all my hatred of it, it stops really well - in an emergency stop with no hands on the wheel it holds a straight line. It even holds its servo vacuum overnight which astounded me!

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike