Rubber Jeep

Willyslancs

Never seen one :wow:

caption:-

“Synthetic JEEPS – Here’s a jeep you simply blow up like you do a tire. It doesn’t go anywhere, of course, but it is designed to deceive at distances up to 500 feet. Pneumatic jeep, high fidelity model, is one of many used as decoys during the war. Tanks and guns were also made of rubber for purposes of subterfuge.

decoy_jeep.jpg

I've often wondered what happened to the hundreds of rubber inflatable Shermans that were littered around South England during the months leading up to D-Day..........did any survive ?? anyone know of any???

I would expect that they re-used the rubber or just let them rot away in a warehouse

I've often wondered what happened to the hundreds of rubber inflatable Shermans that were littered around South England during the months leading up to D-Day..........did any survive ?? anyone know of any???

I heard from a reliable source they were stolen by inflatable rubber dolls... :-D

We had them in Germany in the 1980's ! I was on the Brigade Air liason Officers det. We had a Spartan and would cabby a splendid RAF pilot type around BAOR. For training we had an inflatable BMP1 and a T72, we used to set them up so when we were training with Jets they had a "realistic" Warsaw Pact type target to pretend to attack. We even floated the BMP on a canal, I saw the photos taken by a Jaguar of us all sat on top of it on the water in our shorts :cool2:, I wonder why the Russians never came over the border. Sure Ive got a photo or two somwhere will have to dig them out.